free website stats program Nation wide helmet law ??? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nation wide helmet law ???

I only wear a helmet when it's cold outside, below 35 degrees, wife refuses to ride when it's cold, below 50degrees:s. Otherwise, we do not wear one and even go so far as planning any of our trips around riding where they are not required. We would like to ride in Michigan and West Virginia but don't because they are helmet states so we spend our money in states that allow us to choose to wear a helmet or not. I personally don't care if folks want to wear one or not, it should be their choice. Helmet laws are merely an extension of creeping statism that has permeated our government at every level, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Kemo is right,Ontario where we live has had a helmet law for 50+ years so we wear our helmets if we want to ride.However when I get to any state that has no helmet law the bucket comes off.I like having the choice not to wear it,and the ride is better when you can feel the wind on your hair. JMO :D

No helmet law in Maine and New Hampshire Steve07, mostly country/rural riding if you stay away from the coast. Not much traffic where I ride mostly, that's why I feel safe not wearing a helmet, most Mainer's still have respect for other people.

A lot of people I hear say they don't wear a helmet, state that they are the one to get hurt if they crash. Unfortunately, that is not a true statement. What about the wife and kids, parents, grandparents, girlfriend, boyfriend, aunt uncle, etc. If your state leaves the choice up to you, think about them when you make your decision. You are not the only one that will be hurt.

So, are you trying to say that if you wear a helmet you will NOT get hurt, or that your injuries will be less with a helmet. That statement is only true if your injuries are confined to the head. I have seen my son in law put in the hospital with broken ribs, shoulder, leg and severe back and internal injuries. It took nine months of therapy for him to go back to work. Funny thing, his helmet didn't have a scratch on it.

No, these laws are not for safety, but just a way to control the serfs, as they see us!

Yep, that's what I'm saying. If a head injury is involved, and the vast majority of motorcycle deaths are due to head injury, a helmet may or may not save your life, but it gives you a heck of a lot better chance. Not saying you have to wear one, just that you should consider all of the other people who will be hurt if you have an accident.

Yep, that's what I'm saying. If a head injury is involved, and the vast majority of motorcycle deaths are due to head injury, a helmet may or may not save your life, but it gives you a heck of a lot better chance. Not saying you have to wear one, just that you should consider all of the other people who will be hurt if you have an accident.

+1 Jake
This is why I always wear a helmet. With the technology today the excuse that a helmet deters from the enjoyment of riding is false. Drop a 8 pound melon from 6' off the ground and see what happens. A simple fall and hitting your head could cause catastrophic problems with out a helmet......Something to think about.

10% safety, 90% money. Some politicians care about you and your family, believe it or not. I might be alittle high on the 10%.
But when I heard (and confirmed)that a Illinois State Trooper (I'm God type) almost rookie was handing out seat belt tickets at a service station as he watched people pull in, folks its way more money than safety. All tickets last I knew of stuck.
wilks3

The US government is pushing all states to put in a helmet law!!! In Easyriders Magazine there's an article that in 2009 the NHTSA reports that 16% drop in motorcyclist fatalities despite a 5% increase in miles traveled and 4.5% increase in the number of motorcycles on the road. Does that make sense??? or do they think that we can't THINK for our SELF.:USA ??? What's it coming too ???

With-Out reading any replies. I won't go there.(.)

I feel that ALL should wear HELMETS... especially THE BIG FAT CAT Legislators that PUSH laws and rules down our throats..

If driving a Car, The damage to persons inside the CAR would BE MORE a Protected Outcome than JUST wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle.(more car accidents than motorcycles)

Do you think for one minute that the Nancy P's or the others who Dictate Legislation on wearing a Helmet would like wearing these LIFE PROTECTORS while Driving in their LIMMMMMMMMMO's..

Can you Imagine the Hair Dews MUSSED... :bigsmiley18:

YES , IF Needed On a motorcycle it should be NEEDED in a Cager.

Fair for One and Fair for All,,,,, I'm all for it.

signed....BUBBIE

I apologize if it seems that I'm picking on you but you give me such good openings. If you want to wear a helmet, great go ahead, but you probably should carefully get up find yours and put it on. Bubbie, you hit the nail on the head (please forgive gratuitous pun).

According to the CDC, although Motor vehicle–traffic injury is the leading cause of Traumatic Brain Injury-related death. Rates are highest for adults aged 20 to 24 years. However 35.2% of all TBI injuries are due to falls, 10% by assault, 16.5% by being struck and 21% other causes.

CDC reference

All I'm saying is if you are truly worried about getting a brain injury you should be wearing protection all the time. The statistics don't justify the panic about helmets, but if you feel more comfortable with one you should certainly wear one. I have been known to wear one in the rain or cold and of course if I am in a helmet law state. I prefer not to, but would never tell someone to not wear one if it gave them comfort. The fact is if we maintain an active lifestyle we will at some time sustain an injury and eventually we all will die. Take the precautions you feel comfortable and enjoy life. If I were overly concerned about injury I would take up checkers and park the bike.

With-Out reading any replies. I won't go there.(.)

I feel that ALL should wear HELMETS... especially THE BIG FAT CAT Legislators that PUSH laws and rules down our throats..

If driving a Car, The damage to persons inside the CAR would BE MORE a Protected Outcome than JUST wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle.(more car accidents than motorcycles)

Do you think for one minute that the Nancy P's or the others who Dictate Legislation on wearing a Helmet would like wearing these LIFE PROTECTORS while Driving in their LIMMMMMMMMMO's..

Can you Imagine the Hair Dews MUSSED... :bigsmiley18:

YES , IF Needed On a motorcycle it should be NEEDED in a Cager.

Fair for One and Fair for All,,,,, I'm all for it.

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, this was challenged once I forget where, any how the case ruled against the cager wearing a helmet, it seems it impairs eye sight and restricts hearing imagine that:p

Back