free website stats program Nation wide helmet law ??? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nation wide helmet law ???

With the economy going the way it is, for federal funding, the states may have to implement mandatory helmet laws if they want paid for highway and transportation projects...........

The problem I see is that it won't be about safety. Too many laws have an underlying control issue at stake as well as a money thing. "Bikers" are out of control in their minds, and they need to have a stick to hit them with. So first is the helmet, next will be a reflective vest. And no riding in groups of more than 3 bikes. And no black leathers,,, too scary. And no loud pipes, or exessive power...

Regarding a Federal helmet law, no feds have the authority to arrest without a warrant so the states will be required to impliment the fed helmet law. (Same as Commercial Vehicle Act) So how do you get States to implement it? Money! They will be nixed from traffic grants unless they accept it. And behind it all will be some helmet maker lobbying for the law so they can sell more helmets... And at the end of the day there will be no reduction in MC wrecks or injuries.

Just my opinion, but the government is bent on creating so many laws that anyone can be stopped at any time for any reason. When was the last time that happened?

With the economy going the way it is, for federal funding, the states may have to implement mandatory helmet laws if they want paid for highway and transportation projects...........

Legalized Extortion:p IMO, the feds tried this before and it failed in the courts, tho the far left may have some in put this time can you say ABATE:p

You know as well as anyone it has nothing to do with safety they could care less.
It is about control they need to take more control so the can regulate every area of your life.
If the washington crowd decides they want you will get stuck with just a madder of time they will find away to force it on the states.
I wear one but don't think they have a right o force it.
I agree with Smitty. It's all about control and the government's attempt to ban riders from making their own decision. Don't get me wrong, I wear a helmet, even though my state doesn't have such a law. Generally speaking, a helmet simply determines whether the funeral is open casket or closed casket.

Want to save some lives and have fewer needless accidents? How about a FEDERAL "teeny-bopper on the cell phone" law.

Want to save some lives and have fewer needless accidents? How about a FEDERAL "teeny-bopper on the cell phone" law.
You mean restrict our entitled youth who are always on the move and can do no wrong and do not have to be responsible for their actions??????

So many facets to issues like this.

It is a slippery slope, that would be better for all if the statew would refrain from meddling in, but that will not happen.

Would the safest path be to ban riding motorcycles or make them so "car like" to reduce the chance of injuries?

The stats used are often misleading or truncated to support one side or another. Look at the current fervor over concussions in sports (highschool through pros). Should we ban all contact sports as well as riding motocycles?

Part of being a responsible citizen and rider is to voice your opinion and concern. Most of the time you won't be heard, but you can't quite.

Think about what the true reason for any law like this is and remember that if it were truly about safety, cigarettes would not be even manufactured. So, let's dispense with the altruistic regulators. We need to be vigiliant to protect our very rights (which are not granted by laws, they inately exist)to freedom and accept our own responsibilites. One of these freedoms, riding, falls under the pursuit of happiness. That is not the pursuit of "safety". I ALWAYS wear a helmet and think it is good choice for me. I completely support others not wearing them. It is their choice as well as mine.

It is also not about paying medical costs. That is not how it works, but you are made to think that because it seems to make sense. A similar case is made for ABS brakes. Although they are common place, there is no insurance discount for them, nor are they mandatory because when leveled across the population, you are no safer according to the acturary tables from the insurance companies. In fact, ABS increases impacts in low speed stops with aggragate on the road. Fender bender unless the impact is to a pedestrian.

Helmets are an item that is easy to see to be enforced. Cell phones, much less noticable, and enforcable, but some how a bluetooth is ok. Think about the increase in the national speed limits a while ago. There should have be bodies all over the road, if "speed kills". But there wasn't...not when you measure the accidents across an ever increasing population.....but we do have speed cameras now...for you safety.

Latest studies show, living will kill you...every one of us.

Another look at stats and studies for safety.

Please, take care of yourself this Christmas. A recent joint study conducted by the Department of Health and the Department of Motor Vehicle safety indicates that 23% of traffic accidents are alcohol related. This means that the remaining 77% are caused by drivers who drink coffee, carbonated drinks, juice, milk, water, etc..... Therefore, beware of those who do not drink alcohol, they are causing three times as many accidents.

:p

Another look at stats and studies for safety.

Please, take care of yourself this Christmas. A recent joint study conducted by the Department of Health and the Department of Motor Vehicle safety indicates that 23% of traffic accidents are alcohol related. This means that the remaining 77% are caused by drivers who drink coffee, carbonated drinks, juice, milk, water, etc..... Therefore, beware of those who do not drink alcohol, they are causing three times as many accidents.

:p

Nice post Dr Evil! I am definitely going for a ride tonight! (with my helmet!)

Back