free website stats program Nation wide helmet law ??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nation wide helmet law ???

got caught once in alabama coming from xmas party , got left had to ride the fender cop said u boys know there is a helmet law and said dont leave till he is out of sight and dont let me catch u again

Good Cop, nice:s

well i wear mine.D.O.T approved BELL half shell. i can still hear my BuB pipes its not so heavy it hurts my neck. i've seen what happens when a friends head hits the asphalt. so i'll wear mine. but i think the fed government needs to focus on other things besides motorcycle helmets that should be left up to the state

If you are wearing a LID and happen to drop the bike and bang your head you have some protection between your brain and the ashphalt,doing the same thing without a LID on the only protection you have between your head and the ashphalt is your brain, this helmet law is a no BRAINER put on the LID and ride long and safe.

I have to agree with Iceman, would you stop riding if you had to wear a helmet. Helmets have required in Ontario and most of Canada since about 1966. I still enjoy taking the helmet off occasionally when riding in some states.
kemo

Kemo is right,Ontario where we live has had a helmet law for 50+ years so we wear our helmets if we want to ride.However when I get to any state that has no helmet law the bucket comes off.I like having the choice not to wear it,and the ride is better when you can feel the wind on your hair. JMO :D

When I first started riding in '83 Manitoba didn't have a helmet law, yet. I wore one mostly because i wasn't that confident in my abilities. Went helmetless a few times but my sunglasses kept getting blown off whenever I'd shoulder check. '84 they brought in the helmet law and I've been riding with one since. A few friends of mine used the law as an excuse to quite riding. I saw that as a copout. I didn't stop driving because of seatbelt laws and I wouldn't stop riding because of helmet laws.

That being said, I'd rather not be told what to do.
I highly recommend to new riders that they wear a helmet though. The risks are far greater during those newbie years just from lack of experience.

I myself put on a helment when I ride( Its the law here in mo) but there is the times that is nice to take a ride with out it! that being said there is a bigger issue here! its time for the people to WAKE UP! we have let a small group of people who want to squeal loudest to wiggle there way into a position to tell us all what to do. what happened to freedom of expression? ITS NOT WHINNING! its standing up for your freedoms. look around, its not just in the cycle wolrd. (They) are tellig us what we can and cannot do in every aspect of todays living!So if your happy being told what to do then Go ahead , FOLLOW THE HERD! some of us are making ourselves heard! we are not whinning we are speaking up for ourselves! WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FREE! NOT FREE TO DO WHAT WERE TOLD!!!!

Last edited:
Any one in with the US military knows that it is mandatory to wear ALL safety gear on or off duty while on or off base. Otherwise if something happens you are NOT intitled to any free medical care and or death benefits. Had a friend find out the had way after he wreck his bike. Investigation found out he was not wearing his helmet. His pay was dock to payback the medicals bills the military incurred and then he was court marshalled for failure to obey lawfull orders.

In the UK helmets have been law for many years by the time i started riding in 1975 it had been in for a few years so i have always worn a helmet although i have had a few opportunities to ride a bike without wearing a helmet it felt weird
As i have had the opportunity to meet the tarmac on a number of occasions i have usually just picked myself and bike up and carried on with my journey OK on one occasion i got stuck in hospital for a while and couldn't walk unaided for 6 months perhaps if i had not been wearing a helmet on that occasion i may not have made it to hospital only head injury was a broken nose
yes i wear a helmet gloves boots and have armour in my jacket

Brian

Been riding for 45 years with and without a helmet.
Only times I have been near an accident was when someone in a car wasn't paying attention to what was going on around them.
Before cell phones it was eating or drinking, reading a map,newspaper, or book, changing the radio station, talking to the passenger or just not looking and pulling out in front of me.
Its always distracted drivers of cars, if you can pass a law that would fine them a lot of cash for their inattention then there would be less accidents and there would be less need for new laws.
They can't even enforce the laws now. Speeding,talking on cell phones and DUI's.
But that is cause some people just don't care.
Whats next full body armor?:bigsmiley4::bigsmiley4:

i think we would all agree that its not if you wear a helmet or not, its that we want the freedom to choose. isnt that what America is supposed to be about? I think that it is one more thing they are trying to take away.

A lot of people I hear say they don't wear a helmet, state that they are the one to get hurt if they crash. Unfortunately, that is not a true statement. What about the wife and kids, parents, grandparents, girlfriend, boyfriend, aunt uncle, etc. If your state leaves the choice up to you, think about them when you make your decision. You are not the only one that will be hurt.

Back