free website stats program Natchez Trace | Harley Davidson Forums

Natchez Trace

david_in_ky

We took this trip in 2008, and had a marvelous time, and a few scary moments.

Started out from Louisville to Nashville, the Trace is a 400 mile long parkway starting in Bentwood, a Nashville suburb. Be warned the speed limit is 45 mph and it is enforced. The trip is a lazy enjoyable one.. lots of markers of " Where this field is used to be ...", but it gives you a feel for the old South and the history of a young country. Our side trips were memorable, we picked out off the beaten path restaurants and hotels. One memorable was the tiny town of Raymond, Miss. The only working gas station pumps were set for half gallons cause they could not handle th current prices.. eating a wonderful lunch with old fashioned service and all the fixins for $10.00..

We also stayed near Clarksdale ( there to see the Robert Johnson-famed Crossroads).. ate at Abes BBQ and stayed in an old sharecroppers shack converted to a room at the Shack Up Inn, a unique and friendly experience.

We went thru what I believe to be the worst rainstorm in my 46 year riding life.. started pouring with no warning, in 5 seconds we were too wet for rain suits, and the visibility was absolutely zero.. with no place to turn off.. we survived and we very grateful to find a warm and dry hotel soon after..

We found Natchez to be charming, friendly and a swell destination.. wish we could have stayed longer.

The Trace is a laid back, easygoing trip.. try it ! Just keep your rain suit close and bring a larger set of clothes...

Have been on it when I kid in a car. Brings back memories. Haven't thought about that road in a long time. Will have to add it wo my routes to take. Thanks for bringing back those memories.

i'm going to try it with wife this sprintg, i'm about 50 miles from it through the woods, how often are the gas pumPS< i'm on a 883 sporty, so 3 gallons don't go very far, about 130 miles max.

You missed the little cafe on the north end of the trace. Loveless Cafe, one more place of great food Wife and I did this a couple of years ago on our way home from Galveston.

I have been on it, only in Mississippi, very nice ride and lots of great picture opps. But be aware of your fuel gage!

My wife and I did the Blue-Ridge Parkway in October, we plan on riding the Natchez this fall. We'll be riding in Florida in three weeks, WOW, I can't wait. Does it ever stop snowing, and had enough of the COLD.

Back