free website stats program mystery leak | Harley Davidson Forums

mystery leak

astrorock

Hello all, i have checked the forums and found some good info but was wondering if you guys can help me. I noticed some moisture on the right frame rail under the trans i can't find any moisture above the frame only on the underside. there is a small air filter looking thing right there, i am assuming it is a breather of some sort. could this just be some mist from that breather?? the moisture seems to be located right by that filter along the brake line.. the left side (under the primary) is pretty dry.

An after-market product is a breather system that uses a filter to help trap any oil mist from the crankcase. The original configuration it to route the vent line to the back of the AC blowing oil mist there. But your bike may have the after-market version. Trace the hose back from that filter unit and see if it ends up on an "el" fitting on the right side back of the engine between the engine and the tranny. If so, that is what it is. You may need to remove and clean that filter unit, or just replace it.

Another possibility is that the vent line from the tranny cover has been routed and fitted with a filter element. Again, trace the hose and see where it ends up.

Finally, the other thing to check is the clutch cable housing. I had one wear through from the inside developing a pinhole then later a slot that allowed tranny fluid to leak out and run back along the right side of the frame and spray on the right side of the tranny.

TQ

ok i'll check that out thanks!!!

is there a way to test the clutch cable housing for a pinhole??

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i'll check that out thanks!!!

is there a way to test the clutch cable housing for a pinhole??

Try sliding that woven cover towards the tranny side cover as much as possible to get a look at the bottom of the cable housing. But if the woven cover is soaked with tranny gear lube, that is a dead give-away.

TQ

Last edited:
I had the same breather system on my 92 Heritage that was stock from the factory.When starting the bike for the first time after it sat all winter the breather would always leak a couple of ounces of oil.Brain dead as I am it took me a while to remember to put a drain pan under the breather before starting her for the first time of the season(of course I was always starting it on my concrete driveway!) Other than that I had no problem with this setup that a grease rag couldn't cure.

Back