free website stats program My Stator is Repaired | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My Stator is Repaired

Yes there is a revised part number for the SE compensator but it did not help with the oiling issue. The new model does the same thing.

Do you know the revised part number for the new SE compensator. I believe that Harley came out with a new design that had some grooving to allow oil to get into the dry area.
Ken

The part number given above with the "A" on the end should be the revised part number, the original had no "A" at the end. My understanding is that the thrust washer under the head of the mounting bolt has arcing grooves in it and is made of plastic, the metal parts are unchanged.

On mine, the wear faces on the three spokes showed much more wear than in the picture. I had a little over 20,000 miles on the new comp when I checked it. After the inspection, contrary to everyone's recommendation, I filled the primary with synthetic 75-140 gear lube and have had no problems generated by that change. 75-140 gear lube is just about the same viscosity as 20-50 motor oil, some articles available through a google search confirm that and explain the reason for the different nomenclature to describe the same viscosities. I tried dino-75-140 first and it seemed to "glue" the clutch plates together, especially when cold. The synthetic does that to a much lesser degree. I was going for the extreme pressure additives in the gear oil which aren't present in the engine oil. I am waaaay past the "burn-out" stage of life and drive to maximize the service life of all components AND gasoline. The clutch has never slipped in the NORMAL use I give it. I also added the extra few ounces of lube recommended if the clutch is feathered a lot (the police demonstration machines) though I just drive, no demos for anyone. So far, so good. The clutch lever movement from just starting to drag to fully locked up seems a little less than before, but that might just be the way 41,000 miles affects the clutch. Clutch engagement is very smooth, no little lurch right at the end. I won't know if this introduces its own set of problems until something breaks or a tear down is needed, and I have no plans to do that, short of a malfunction requiring it.

Back