free website stats program My saddle bags squeak...HELP | Harley Davidson Forums

My saddle bags squeak...HELP

Trapshooter

I have an issue with the saddle bags on my SG. They squeak! It comes from where the rubber pads on the bottom of the bag sets on the bag support underneath. I mostly notice it while setting at at stop light or sign. Drives me CRAZY! Does anyone have good idea how to get them to stop? I thought about putting some grease or something on them but I’m afraid that will harm the rubber. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would be willing to bet that it isn't your saddlebags it is the muffler brackets.Spray a silicone based lubricant or a bit of white grease on them.Pull down on the muffler and spray some on top of the bracket,then lift the muffler and spray some under the bracket.Squeak will be gone.

I've taken the bags off and went for a ride...no squeak. That's how I concluded it was the bags. But, I sure won't hurt to do as you say and lube the muffler brackets. Just by chance, would it hurt to put some on silicone spray on the bag supports?

Have you tried putting ArmorAll on the rubber pads. I use it to make my truck fan belts stopping squeaking.

My '08 SG also did the squeek thing. It was definitely the rubber insert on the brace support. I used silicone spray but it is temporary. My indie co. said they had a trick for this situation. The took to rubber insert, removed it and turned it upside down which makes for a tighter fit. This was over 2 years ago and haven't had a squeek since.:D

I have an issue with the saddle bags on my SG. They squeak! It comes from where the rubber pads on the bottom of the bag sets on the bag support underneath. I mostly notice it while setting at at stop light or sign. Drives me CRAZY! Does anyone have good idea how to get them to stop? I thought about putting some grease or something on them but I’m afraid that will harm the rubber. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I got the same issue. Hmm....I have some teflon tape and Mica tape. I'll give them a try and see how it goes.

Thanks

That would be Mylar tape. Any way I just put the tape on the bags ans support rails. A test ride to work in the morning will let me know if it works.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. I found some Sil-Glide and worked it into all the rubber bag mounts and the muffler hangars. It's been too wet to get out so far this weekend so I don't know if it's going to do the trick or not. But as soon as I can get out I'll find out!

Thanks all. I found some Sil-Glide and worked it into all the rubber bag mounts and the muffler hangars. It's been too wet to get out so far this weekend so I don't know if it's going to do the trick or not. But as soon as I can get out I'll find out!

Wet up there too huh. It's been raining for two days down here in Central Florida. We are gettun kinda bored, we had cancelled all but basic cable on the TV and it's a mess outside.

My wife's sister and her husband live up your way over in Coffeeville.

Use Sil-Glide on all rubber and electrical connections a little goes a long ways, you can use it on all brake parts slides and backing plates also:s

Back