free website stats program My Road King dies | Harley Davidson Forums

My Road King dies

reelmcoy

Every now and then my bike will just die for no reason. The engine dies and the speedo drops to zero but the lights stay on. Bike won't turn over until I flip the kill switch off and back to on. I have checked all the wiring connections and grounds. Didn't see any wires that may have rubbed through. Any ideas are appreciated.

Wire loose at ign switch or kill switch ? or the battery connection would be what i would look at but looks like you said you have checked that

Have recently had the same issue with my 08 Heritage. Fire just went out one day shifting into 2nd. Stopped switched ignition off and on, nothing. tried it 2 or 3 times more times, still nothing. Everything else was on, lights etc. Reached up and turned the kill switch off and back on, and it fired right up. About 2 weeks later I was going down a Interstate entry ramp at about 70, just shifted to 6th and fire went out. Hit the kill switch off and back on real quick and it re-fired as soon as the fuel hit cylinders. Called dealer told tech about it. Both of us felt it must be a bad switch although he said he's never seen a bad one. Took it in, ran the codes and found none. He put a new kill switch on it, actually he replaced the entire right hand switch module. That was a week ago. Only ran a couple hundred miles since. So it is a wait and see situation at this point.

Let me know what you find with your RK, and I'll update if it happens here again.

D.Orr

Have recently had the same issue with my 08 Heritage. Fire just went out one day shifting into 2nd. Stopped switched ignition off and on, nothing. tried it 2 or 3 times more times, still nothing. Everything else was on, lights etc. Reached up and turned the kill switch off and back on, and it fired right up. About 2 weeks later I was going down a Interstate entry ramp at about 70, just shifted to 6th and fire went out. Hit the kill switch off and back on real quick and it re-fired as soon as the fuel hit cylinders. Called dealer told tech about it. Both of us felt it must be a bad switch although he said he's never seen a bad one. Took it in, ran the codes and found none. He put a new kill switch on it, actually he replaced the entire right hand switch module. That was a week ago. Only ran a couple hundred miles since. So it is a wait and see situation at this point.

Let me know what you find with your RK, and I'll update if it happens here again.

D.Orr

Mine acts as though you shut the kill switch off. It hasn't done it for 2300 miles until today. I took the right side control apart and didn't see anything unusual in there. I was thinking about replacing the kill switch and seeing what happens.

Mine acts as though you shut the kill switch off. It hasn't done it for 2300 miles until today. I took the right side control apart and didn't see anything unusual in there. I was thinking about replacing the kill switch and seeing what happens.

Probably a good place to start. You still under warranty? Mine was replaced for free. Tech at the dealer did notice the V&H FuelPak on mine and said if he called the factory, the first thing they would tell him to do would be unhook it. He did say he couldn't see that it had anything to do with the problem though.
D.Orr

Excellent advice when you CAN find the problem, but when it only happens once every 5 or 600 miles and leaves no indication or trace that it did happen, makes it kinda tough to find.

My advice is NEVER throw money at an electrical problem.Find it and fix it.

I don't like wasting money either but when it will not repeat the problem when needed it is hard to fix. If it just died and would not start immediatly afterword it would be easier to trace down.

Back