free website stats program my reserve isn't working | Harley Davidson Forums

my reserve isn't working

i ran out of gas today and my reserve wouldn't do anything! this is the second time this has happened. i thought i fixed it the first time. i have a 97 fatboy 1340 80ci with split tanks. any suggestions? thanks, aaron

you might have a bad tube on your main so the gas is going in through the bottom of the line. I think you would have to pull the petcock to check it out. The main has tube on it that sits higher off the bottom of the tank so when you switch to reserve you use the gas that's left at the bottom. if your tube is broken, bent, or has a hole in it you would be collecting the gas from the bottom of the tank before you switch to reserve. It could also be a bad petcock.

Actually Whatyardwork is correct, use the odometer 140-150 miles better get gas just in case...I find that if my bike runs out of main fuel, the engine dies without any warning and I have to quickly pull in the clutch and coast to the side of the road. Really kinda hard to switch to reserve, while holding the clutch in, get the bike in neutral AND restart the bike all in one motion. Only happened once, now I do the 140-160 mile refill routine.

Not at all like my metrics which would lose power, but give you enough time to reach down and flip the valve to reserve before the engine died.

Back