My pet peeve

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by horizonchaser, May 8, 2012.

1. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

Last night I went to check the transmission fluid as a matter of routine when it occurred to me that I have a heck of a time reading the fluid level. When the fluid is all nice and clean and I try to read it against the shiny chrome dipstick, I can't for the life of me discern where the fluid mark is! Is it me or what? Why the heck do they make the dipstick chrome anyway? Why not a dull black so the wet fluid mark would be easier to read. What I usually do is, after the dipstick is inserted in the tranny, lying on top of the threads, I remove it and place it against a paper towel and see where the fluid transfers onto the towel. Then I lay my stick along side of it to see where the fluid "Full-Empty" marks line up against the towel. The trouble with that method is the wet fluid starts spreading quickly on the towel giving a less than precise reading. So help me, I am thinking of sandblasting the chrome right the heck off of that stick and spray painting it a heat resistant barbeque dull black so I can clearly see the wet mark against the backdrop of the dull black.
    I am at wits end with this. :( How do you guys/gals accurately read your transmission fluid? BTW, I have an '03 Ultra Classic.

2. Rubyred

Rubyred Senior Member

Change transmission fluid to one that has color. I believe the Spectro Platinum is red in color.

3. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

A little sandpaper to scuff the stick up will also work.

4. HD4ME!

HD4ME! Active Member

Glad I am not the only one with this problem.

5. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

Ruby is correct, the Spectro makes it easy to see on the dipstick.

6. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

I have painted the end of dip sticks with a dull color (gray or black) it does work.

7. softail41

softail41 Active Member

Another reason to use Spectro. Easy to see on the dipstick and shifting gears becomes smoother!

8. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Agree...my "aged" eyes are crepping up on me too & it's harder to see the fluids on amy of my vehicles (lawnmowers to cars). I'll to the paper towel trick & might have to have my son nearby to verify levels soon too...

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

This works good, you can also use a crayon on the stick then wipe off when done:s

1 person likes this.
  10. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

Thanks Jack. I know I have a few black "grease pencils" lying around the house somewhere. Some people call them China Markers.
    I was glad to see that I was not alone in trying to read the dip stick. :D