free website stats program My old man | Harley Davidson Forums

My old man

Call me slow, but I couldn't find how to start a new thread!! Hope these post don't have to be a joke.
It starts with my "Old Man". He was a cop for 42 years in a big city. One of the things he got to experience was being a Motorcycle cop, or as he called it, being on Motors. I've owned 5 motorcycles, 4 being Harley s, ( the last 4 of course ). He never wanted me to ride motorcycles and now I can understand why, with the lack of attention given to us by people in cars.I've been riding for the better part of 30 years now. I now have a 19 year old son, who thinks my ride is awesome, I have never given him a ride on it,because I afraid he would fall in love with riding like I did. I know I'm being selfish, but I couldn't cope with life if I got him into riding, and something bad happened! What's sad is, every time I'm out riding, I find myself thinking how great it would be if he were there sharing this great time with me! Am I nuts or is this just the way dads think? Happy, safe riding to all! Keep the shiny side up! :)

Call me slow, but I couldn't find how to start a new thread!! Hope these post don't have to be a joke.
It starts with my "Old Man". He was a cop for 42 years in a big city. One of the things he got to experience was being a Motorcycle cop, or as he called it, being on Motors. I've owned 5 motorcycles, 4 being Harley s, ( the last 4 of course ). He never wanted me to ride motorcycles and now I can understand why, with the lack of attention given to us by people in cars.I've been riding for the better part of 30 years now. I now have a 19 year old son, who thinks my ride is awesome, I have never given him a ride on it,because I afraid he would fall in love with riding like I did. I know I'm being selfish, but I couldn't cope with life if I got him into riding, and something bad happened! What's sad is, every time I'm out riding, I find myself thinking how great it would be if he were there sharing this great time with me! Am I nuts or is this just the way dads think? Happy, safe riding to all! Keep the shiny side up! :)

JMO ---- Not nuts , just concerned! Thats how we dads & moms think we dont ever want anything to happen to our kids/grandkids/greatgrandkids. Your doing something you enjoy and worried something might happen to your son if he gets a scoot , normal. But I gotta ask --- have you ever thought about your son thinking if something happened to you while out riding and he starts beating himself up for not being there???? Do you think he could cope with that??????? Personally - I would introduce him to this side of life and BOTH of you could enjoy and make some memories together. You say your son is 19 right now - when you wake up every other day he will be 29 , 39 , 49 , 59 ....... and for every year he ages so do you. I wish I could take the hands of time and back them up with my 3 kids and do the same with my ol' man!!!!

I statred my son out when he was about 8 on Yam GT 80,if memory serves me. He has had many bikes since. He's 40 now and still rides. He has had accidents,simple & bad, but still rides. The sumer after grad. from college we went on trip,with some other friends,to New Mex.,Colo.,Wyom.,So. Dak.,Utah & back to deep So. Tex. We were gone about 2wks. In '09 he met me in Lincoln Neb. and we rode to Sturgis for 4-5 days.Both trips were great for me to be riding with my son. No better feeling.Don't get to ride with him much due to he lives in Mich. & I in So. Tex. I'm rebuilding a 92 Ultra for him & his wife. As soon as possible his mom & I will ride up there to do some riding with them. More great times with our son & daugther-in-law.
Gotta Love It

Man, this post evokes so many emotions and is very difficult to comment on, because the perspective is so personal.

I have two girls, oldest out of college for 2 years and getting married December 10, youngest in her 2nd year of college (go Coogs!), so have always wondered what it would have been like having a boy to share my adventures with....but wouldn't trade the trials and tribulations my girls and I have shared over the last 25 years for a mirco-second.

I ride a bike (everyday), it's dangerous and extremely distracted people are going about their daily lives without paying me a second thought, in fact in the close calls I have had the drivers either didn't see me and would have never known that they ended my life, or saw me and seemed annoyed that I happened to be in their way.

I have driven in a cage on the freeway taking my family camping, on vacations to other cities, flown in planes and flown planes, went skydiving, went bungee jumping, deep sea diving, deep sea fishing, mountain climbing, hiking, biking, and just sitting on our backs at midnight in a dark field in the country just looking up at the billions and billions of stars in the sky, which are always there, but seldom seen. All at the behest of my girls, and each one with an inherent danger present.

And the richest time I have spent with my family is the everyday, strung together one after the other, being there for and with each other, and never saying goodbye without following it with an "I love you", or saying hello without a hug. I have spoken to my girls about every aspect of life including death, but the most meaninful conversations have been about God, and Jesus.

I know they know the full measure of life and the finality of death on this earth, they also understand how the fabric of our lives is woven together by our creator who knows where, how, and why the last knot is to be tied. They understand fully my belief that when the last knot is tied in my life it was meant to be, and likewise I know that about them. And when that time comes I (or they) will meet take their final reward and, as has been so eloquently put, slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of God (in the poem High Flight by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.).

I trust in fate, but know my guardian angel is always by my side. I can't give you any words that help you overcome your fear of loss, but as for me, I wouldn't have changed a thing and would be a poorer man today if I didn't have such rich memories.

My wifes father, a logger all his life here in maine (dangerous job falling trees) died age 60 four years ago after a day surgery to remove gall stones and they hit an artery.

My brother in law died 2 years ago brain anurism surgery age 45 left him basicaly a vegitable for 5 months first and it was a blessing to see him finaly pass.

mother n law died 2 months ago from a lukemia type cancer. she was just 65 had just retired. she was in extreme pain for two weeks till the end. Said they coulndnt give her too much pain medicine for fear of it killing her.

When I go I can only hope it is doing somthing I enjoy rather than in a hospital. Live life too the fullest you just never know when your number is up

I've jumped in here to respond without reading what others have written, so pardon me if I repeat what someone else has said...... So you worry that you'd beat yourself up if something happened to your son while he was riding a bike, but wish he could be riding with you? I believe that since you only get one shot at life, you should do everything you can possibly do that you desire. If your son wants really badly to ride a bike, I would make sure he does an MSF (or Riders Edge) course. Make sure you ride with him and be a good mentor as he develops his skills. Riding with your son could be one of the greatest thrills of your life, but if you really feel the risk is too great, you just have to follow your instinct and protect him. Everyone's situation is different. My biggest advice is to pray about it and ask God to open and close doors accordingly. That's what I did when I considered learning to ride. I can say without a doubt that He opened all the doors and now I'm riding. What's more is that if I am taken out in a motorcycle wreck, I have no regrets and had the time of my life, died doing something I loved. Good luck to you!

Man, this post evokes so many emotions and is very difficult to comment on, because the perspective is so personal.

I have two girls, oldest out of college for 2 years and getting married December 10, youngest in her 2nd year of college (go Coogs!), so have always wondered what it would have been like having a boy to share my adventures with....but wouldn't trade the trials and tribulations my girls and I have shared over the last 25 years for a mirco-second.

I ride a bike (everyday), it's dangerous and extremely distracted people are going about their daily lives without paying me a second thought, in fact in the close calls I have had the drivers either didn't see me and would have never known that they ended my life, or saw me and seemed annoyed that I happened to be in their way.

I have driven in a cage on the freeway taking my family camping, on vacations to other cities, flown in planes and flown planes, went skydiving, went bungee jumping, deep sea diving, deep sea fishing, mountain climbing, hiking, biking, and just sitting on our backs at midnight in a dark field in the country just looking up at the billions and billions of stars in the sky, which are always there, but seldom seen. All at the behest of my girls, and each one with an inherent danger present.

And the richest time I have spent with my family is the everyday, strung together one after the other, being there for and with each other, and never saying goodbye without following it with an "I love you", or saying hello without a hug. I have spoken to my girls about every aspect of life including death, but the most meaninful conversations have been about God, and Jesus.

I know they know the full measure of life and the finality of death on this earth, they also understand how the fabric of our lives is woven together by our creator who knows where, how, and why the last knot is to be tied. They understand fully my belief that when the last knot is tied in my life it was meant to be, and likewise I know that about them. And when that time comes I (or they) will meet take their final reward and, as has been so eloquently put, slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of God (in the poem High Flight by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.).

I trust in fate, but know my guardian angel is always by my side. I can't give you any words that help you overcome your fear of loss, but as for me, I wouldn't have changed a thing and would be a poorer man today if I didn't have such rich memories.

Okay, I have just read this and then reread it and I have tears in my eyes. Heck, I have tears running down my face! What an amazing life you are living and sharing with your family! What an outstanding outlook on life! This is how life should be lived, making memories! Thank you for your words my friend.

All are very great post on this topic. My dad is getting close to 60 now and he still rides but not as much as he use to. I can tell you that some of my best memories of riding are with my dad and I love when we are able to get out and go riding. I'm not sure how many more years he will ride but you can be asured I will be right there riding and making more merories until then and after he gives it up it will be time to sit around and talk about all of the great times we had riding together. I understand you having the fear of something happening to you son while he is riding, every father and mother feels a fear of something happening. I have a 3 year old that loves to ride and I know she will end up riding her own bike one day and if the lord is willing I will be right there with her and you can bet I will be on pins and needles the first few times she takes off on her own but I'm going to right there with her if she does decide to ride and enjoy every minute of it. I think you and you rson will have some of the best times you have had when you ride with each other. Show him the right ways of handling a bike and the does and don't and lead by example. Most of all enjoy the time togther because it goes by so fast.

as a parent of a 19 yr old and a 16 yr old I am faced with this delima every day in some fashion or another. I think as a parent its our duty to share and teach them about the good things in life as well as the bad, sad or (life in genral) the thing I try to do is make sure they learn from someone you has thier best interest at heart.wouldent you rather your son have the time of his life and be tought the dangers by you instead of jumping on a buddys bike and running out on the highway to learn the hard way? I want my kids to live life to its fullest in thier eyes not mine. but at the same time I will make sure they do it with Every tool I can give them(knowledge). at the same time my wife and I get to be there to live thier expieriances with them. around our house we call that building memories.by the way my whole family rides thier own scoot! you should here the ruckus sometimes when we are going into a restraunt , us talking about our ride , what we saw or where were going next. BUILDING MEMORIES!

Back