free website stats program My Next Harley - I'm So Confused!! | Harley Davidson Forums

My Next Harley - I'm So Confused!!

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
As I posted previously, I'm a Sportster rider looking to move to something a little bigger/more touring oriented without losing too much of the sporty maneuverability of the XL1200. Thought I had done all my research and narrowed it down to either a Road King or a Heritage Softail. Made the mistake of doing a little more thinking and talking to a buddy and now I'm considering the Road Glide as well.

My main objection is not being able to do any simple neighborhood cruising without any windshield/fairing like you can with the other two models.

Anybody have any experience moving from a RK/Heritage to a RG? Any regrets? Do you miss the wind in your face occasionally?

I currently own an 07 roadglide and I really love it;for me it's the right machine.Man, if you want to put on some serious miles it's a very good choice.If I had to do it all again I definitely would choose the RG.Having said that,Ithink you need to think a little about the riding you'll be doing and the look you like.I personally think(looks wise)the roadking is pretty hard to beat.A friend just bought an 08 roadking and its just a beautiful machine.
One thing you'll love for sure is the extra gear and power.
Good Luck!

now I'm considering the Road Glide as well.

My main objection is not being able to do any simple neighborhood cruising without any windshield/fairing like you can with the other two models.

Hello Dr.:D

why not keep the Sportster and get the RoadGlide or RK?

Good Luck! :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Idea...get a Road King and you can kinda create your own..The first Pic is with a stock windshield...can be removed in less than 10 seconds...also the sissy bar pops off as well...Then as you see in the second pic ..you can install a fairing..that installs in about 10 minutes...and the tour pak can also come on and off in a few minutes..so this way ya got the best of many worlds.

Last edited:
Doc, as has often been suggested before here on the forum... renting is a good idea. See if they'll allow you to bring back the bike and try another same day. This way, you get to try all the one's you're considering, and make an informed decision from there. It's better then a demo ride, that lasts what...ten minutes? Let yourself really see if the bike fits you.. and the demands of what and how you're going to ride it.

That's my .02.

I know, I know. I have rented five different Harleys in the last year but I haven't ridden the three I'm considering on the same day to get a true comparison. It's definitely on my to do list!

keep the sporty and buy any of the other choices, the BT's do not handle like a sporty, the BT is comfier and smoother i have a 883 and a heritage and love the differences

I'll bite - I'm so new on this forum I have no idea what a BT is. My guess would be Bagger/Touring. Am I close?

Whoa - hold the phone!!! I've never seen a RK with a fairing! How long does it take to put on and how hard is it? Does it have music? How much did it cost?

This changes everything!!!!!

Nice Fourdogs! :bigsmiley14: you got the best of both world:D

Good, Dr., we might get you on a bike before spring time:bigsmiley8:!

Back