free website stats program My new street glide is broke | Harley Davidson Forums

My new street glide is broke

cyberfish2

:( My rear brake quit working! Looks like the resevoir may be empty. There didn't look to be any fluid on the rear rotor, and no sign of a leak in the garage. I have just 600 miles on it. It has ABS. The front brakes still works fine. It goes back to the dealer Tuesday. I'd have a look at it myself, but the warranty will cover it. I wonder if the ABS had anything to do with that. My guess is one one the lines broke. Anyway I'll post again when I find out next week. ,:newsmile012:

I would say no on the ABS causing it . check your right side frame cover see if brake fluid is leaking out of there if so spray it down so it wont take the paint off you frame and other parts

Better find where the brake fluid went to and clean it up. That's DOT 4 and it don't like painted parts.

My 09 Road King had a leak on the rear res. cover. It leaked for a long time. I placed a crumpled paper towel in between the res. and the frame so it wouldn't leak on my paint. When I took it in to the dealer for the 1000 mi. service I told them about the leak. I showed it to them 2 other times. First time they tightened the cover. That didn't work. Then they cleaned up the gasket and reinstalled it. It appears to have stopped leaking but the level in the sightglass is fairly low. I have ABS also. This might be something to keep an eye on. The front brake res. has never leaked a drop and has plenty of fluid in it...

If the reservoir is empty, the fluid has gone, sounds like a basic statement BUT it is an important statement. ABS is an intelligent brake control system - period! It has no impact on the fluid level whatsoever.

Personally I wouldn't touch the bike and I wouldn't wash the fluid off or anything. I would have it back in the dealer and I would have them:

1.satisfying you that they have genuinely fixed the route cause
2.taken clear action that they have thoroughly cleaned the bike
3.I would get this in writing

Brake fluid will eat paint in a big way, but it could take a long tiime before you notice it. Getting yourself well covered by the dealer could save you a lot of hassle in future.

Personally, the moment I get a chance I am going to check my back reservoir and it will now form part of a regular check for me, this is not good

Better find where the brake fluid went to and clean it up. That's DOT 4 and it don't like painted parts.

Ditto on finding the leek.If you bring the thing to the dealer and dont know where that fluid went, do you realy think the dealer is going to point out the damaged area.

"Excuse me sir, this is the area of your frame that the paint will be falling off sometime after your waranty expires."

Id be adding fluid and finding that leek.

If the reservoir is empty, the fluid has gone, sounds like a basic statement BUT it is an important statement. ABS is an intelligent brake control system - period! It has no impact on the fluid level whatsoever.

Maybe you could expand on this statement a bit for us?

In order for the ABS to modulate the brake system to prevent wheel lockup, it is tied into the fluid section of the braking system and the leaks could come from various places in the system where ever there is a connection.

Sounds like a prime opportunity to start a recall rumor!

Seriously, I agree with sgdiesel in that you should get several acknowledgements in writing from the dealer just to cover you in the future.

Maybe you could expand on this statement a bit for us?

In order for the ABS to modulate the brake system to prevent wheel lockup, it is tied into the fluid section of the braking system and the leaks could come from various places in the system where ever there is a connection.

I am sure we all understand the fundamemtal principle of ABS, namely that it detects rapid changes in wheel speed (i.e. lock up) and modulates pressure to ensure brake torque is maintained just short of lock up which is why the pulsing sensation is experienced.

Clearly do this there is a modulating pressure control valve in the brake line, so perhaps my statement above wasn't entirely clear. What I mean by that statement is that the ABS system has no capacity to absorb or reroute fluid elsewhere.

I agree that the dealer may or may not be 100% straight with where all the fluid has gone, but given that this is certainly a warranty claim that will go all the way back to MoCo (commercially I mean) the dealer doesn't really benefit by not doing a proper job. Indeed, if you want to be really cynical about it, the dealer would probably be delighted to fill the workshop with MoCo subsidised work in todays environment. IMHO and experience with engineering machinery and associated warranty issues, I never touch it. If you do, you begin to open up split areas of responsibility, i.e. "HD" may claim that as the user had cleaned the bike they are no longer responsible.

One area that is worth checking out though is whether you are covered by this under warranty anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if the small print covers you for replacement parts and the fitting thereof, but you may well find that "consequential damage" is excluded.

I would encourage you to elevate it in the dealer to someone you know and trust (and who has the right level of authority), and ask them to explain exactly what you are covered for and what they intend doing about it BEFORE THEY START!

Something else that is worth noting at this stage. The focus so far has been the damage that this fluid does to paintwork and consequent corrosion problems, which is perfectly true, but brake fluid also damages standard seals used (eg nitrile o'rings) and insulation used on electric cables (PVC and PE). If a full reservoir of fluid was lying in amongst the wiring I would be concerned.

For fear of contradicting myself, my response may seem an overreaction, but given that you have paid a lot for a dream motorcycle I think this is justified. If this was a 5 year old bike, washing it down with soap and water would probably be the end of the story. Modern surface treatmens are very good should withstand a 1 off occurance like this (if it was the middle of the tank where even the slightest discolouration would annoy that would be a different case of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back