free website stats program My new HD - I want Spring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My new HD - I want Spring

Most metrics have a high center of gravity, and at 800-1000cc it is a fairly new generation one (MotoGP kinda drives the sportbike displacement march) as 700cc restriction and such has long since passed. H-D motorcycles have always enjoyed low seat height and low center of gravity (relatively speaking) and engine displacement/cc's has never really played much in their development.

That said, you will find the EG much easier to ride solo (you did not say how you used your metric). You will also enjoy the torque and not having to row thru the gears and keeping the bike in a narrow power band, so less concentration on the technicals and more on the enjoyment of riding. Such has been my experience anyway...!

Welcome to the HDTimeline forum and do keep in touch as you enjoy your new (to you) ride! :D

It was a 2006 c50 Suzuki boulevard. I rode on long rides with friends that all had HD. I was always behind a street glide. So I found a great deal this winter and got the bike of my dreams. Can't wait to ride it. All I am doing now is buying items to put on it.

When I jumped from the Nipon rides to American steel I know KNOW that I lugged it too much. For one, I used to have a Yamiharley (Virago) back in the day and the only way to make it sound even close to a baby-sporster was to idle around in 2nd or 3rd gear about ready to kill it. Flash forward to any HD and the low end power is lightyears ahead. But, its easy to depend on that low end too much. I remember reading the factory shift point and running it like that. You get used to it... then started opening it up and realized that they really want to run. Their not going to fly apart. Now I dont touch 6th gear till about 60-65 mph! The way they are meant to run. I'm just saying, don't lug it.

Not to be ignorant but what does Lug mean?

Where did the Ickysticky name come from? Just curious. Sounds like something you ought to get a prescription for...

Screen name that I came up with when aol instant messenger came out. I was young and had hobbies. Just now use it as my alter ego.....

Last edited by a moderator:
went grom a 750 virago, the 1300 royal star, to the ultra classic, had each yamaha for a year then went with the big boy. wife enjoys it so I get to enjoy it more

I came to HD from a Triumph Daytona 675 race bike. I bought a Sportster XL1200C and even that felt heavy and massive compared to the 160KG crotch rocket.

Since then I have had a 2005 Vrod and now a 2010 Street Bob. You soon get used to the bikes. I can't wait for Spring either as its still wet and cold in the UK. Enjoy the new bike.

Well another 6 inches of snow last night. We must have 4 feet on the ground from this crazy winter. We have been really lucky the last couple of years here in the Syracuse area with the snow. This year is like it used to be when I was a kid. Now that I am older I hate the winter. I understand why people move to Florida when they retire.. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Hopefully we all will be riding soon..

Be sure to use this down time to get all the honey do list finished. For once the warm weather comes you not be able to be found. Once you get used to the Harley you will never want to stop riding........

That is what my buddy said "You think you are bitten now just wait until you ride it". So I have been researching as much as I can on this great site. This site has a lot of great information. I just wish I never read the wobble thread. No I am nervous about that but I am sure its just me being paranoid..I have never wanted the Spring to come so much in my life. It will be Christmas all over again...

Back