free website stats program My new HD - I want Spring | Harley Davidson Forums

My new HD - I want Spring

ickysticky74

I am new to the Forum. I use to own a metric bike 880 cc. I traded it in and bought a 2006 Electra Glide with 4,200 miles on it. It has a stage 1 package with screaming eagle slip ons and fuel injected. I have never ridden a HD so I am so excited. I started it once and that is it. I hope that I can ride it since it is 1450cc and weighs more than my previous bike. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 205 so I am sure I will have no problems. Has anyone gone from a drastic change in engine and is it that much of a difference? Just really itching to drive this thing where is Spring?????

I'm 5'8" and 170 pounds and I have no problem handling my 2002 Electraglide. As with any new vehicle, just be careful and get used to it. Ride without a passenger for a while till you are comfortable. And have fun, it's a great bike. I sure love mine , putting on 60k miles in the 6 years I've had it, riding every day here in Phoenix.

I'm 5'8" and 170 pounds and I have no problem handling my 2002 Electraglide. As with any new vehicle, just be careful and get used to it. Ride without a passenger for a while till you are comfortable. And have fun, it's a great bike. I sure love mine , putting on 60k miles in the 6 years I've had it, riding every day here in Phoenix.

You are lucky to have nice weather were you live..

I went from riding a Honda 750 magna (fast bike) to a 2010 Ultra Classic. There is really a big diffrence. The ride is much more comfortable, and less stressful on the body. With alll the extra equipment there is no comparison between the bike I ride now and my Ultra...I purchased my bike in August and put 4500 miles on it before November 30th,. This bike is easy to ride and eats up the miles.. Enjoy the new ride you will be happy with your choice!!

Most metrics have a high center of gravity, and at 800-1000cc it is a fairly new generation one (MotoGP kinda drives the sportbike displacement march) as 700cc restriction and such has long since passed. H-D motorcycles have always enjoyed low seat height and low center of gravity (relatively speaking) and engine displacement/cc's has never really played much in their development.

That said, you will find the EG much easier to ride solo (you did not say how you used your metric). You will also enjoy the torque and not having to row thru the gears and keeping the bike in a narrow power band, so less concentration on the technicals and more on the enjoyment of riding. Such has been my experience anyway...!

Welcome to the HDTimeline forum and do keep in touch as you enjoy your new (to you) ride! :D

One thing I've seen with riders switching to a big twin HD froma smaller bike is that the power (torque) at low end is so huge that they have a tendency to lug the engine. Let it get up and streched out between gears. They have power down there, but they like to breath too

Welcome to the Forum!

I went from an 883 Sporty to my Softail Deluxe. The difference is pretty significant. The Deluxe, with the low center of gravity, is much easier to ride.

I understand your anxiety. I got my Deluxe in January and had to wait a couple of months to really ride. The wait will be worth it.

Interesting thoughts from all. I did not see a big difference put wanted a newer bike. My Honda had more power than the Ultra stock, and the Honda seat was 27" compared to the Ultra at 30". The HD was definitely more top heavy. I have not been on a long ride yet untill this summer, but think I will enjoy the 7 or 8 day trip I am planning. The top speeds are a lot smoother HD and that will be great for my long trip.

When I jumped from the Nipon rides to American steel I know KNOW that I lugged it too much. For one, I used to have a Yamiharley (Virago) back in the day and the only way to make it sound even close to a baby-sporster was to idle around in 2nd or 3rd gear about ready to kill it. Flash forward to any HD and the low end power is lightyears ahead. But, its easy to depend on that low end too much. I remember reading the factory shift point and running it like that. You get used to it... then started opening it up and realized that they really want to run. Their not going to fly apart. Now I dont touch 6th gear till about 60-65 mph! The way they are meant to run. I'm just saying, don't lug it.

Welcome to the forum ickystiky74.
Tons of parts for your bike, so if seat or handlebars don't feel comfortable, they can be easily changed out. These bikes like to be ridden more than once a month, so get it comfortable for you.
Also get a service manual. Gives you knowledge and save a bunch of money as well.
Great self help section on forum and better members willing to help.
Enjoy!!

Back