free website stats program My new Dyna | Harley Davidson Forums

My new Dyna

Dogface2

Hi everyone, I just got me a new 2003 Dyna superglide. :D Yahoo! Got a great deal and it only has 6500 miles on it. Life is good. This is my first big bike. I have a question, can I swap my wheels and tires with a set of wire spoked wheels off a sportster? I like the looks of the wire spokes better that the mags.

Yes I have seen this done without issue...
Just make sure when you put the laced wheels on they are in good order.
BTW...
Congrats on the dyna! :D

Last edited:
Welcome to H-D talking, & Congratulations on your new ride. Once it warms up a bit take your time & get use to the Feel & Balance of your bike. Tune in here regularly & you'll be suprised how much Great info & friendly people you will incounter...

Hey Top, Does it make it harder to fix the flat because the spokes have tubes? Just a guess on my part.

Oh, I retired as a Mech Engineer, Also did 12 yrs in the Cav, You know.... If you ain't cav you ........ Thanks for the tip and keep leadin'.

I have really been over the sight here and it's great. Can't wait for summer! I am a no rainer. Up here in Oregon it is hard not to get caught in it. But I try to ride through out the year. Don't care for the visibility and slick problems.

Keep the rubber side down!

Last edited by a moderator:
Being in rainy Oregon, be sure to clean and inspect spoked wheels for rust or corrosion, especially when changing tires, the spoke tension, replace new sealing strip/tube always. Spoked wheels perform and look mighty fine, BUT they were supplanted by lower maintenance, high strength cast wheels with tubeless tires for a reason...

Hey Top, Does it make it harder to fix the flat because the spokes have tubes? Just a guess on my part.

Oh, I retired as a Mech Engineer, Also did 12 yrs in the Cav, You know.... If you ain't cav you ........ Thanks for the tip and keep leadin'.

I have really been over the sight here and it's great. Can't wait for summer! I am a no rainer. Up here in Oregon it is hard not to get caught in it. But I try to ride through out the year. Don't care for the visibility and slick problems.

Keep the rubber side down!

A flat on a tubed tire is usually sudden and complete. The repair requires the removal of the wheel from the bike, and the removal of the tire from the rim for access to the tube. The tube is then repaired or replaced, and the above sequence is reversed. You'll be fine you carry spare tubes in your saddlebags, just in case, as any shop you'll find along the road may not have one in stock. The trick is to get the bike to a shop (HOG membership is a help here).

The tubeless tires usually go down slowly so you have some warning, and the drill is to ride from station to station, airing up the tire at each, until you reach home or your preferred shop. You can also carry a tubeless tire plug kit and something to reinflate the tire so you can keep rolling.

If your riding is only in town, the wheel difference isn't such a big deal. If touring, it is.

Before you commit to the spoked wheels, consider the bearing issue and the spokes condition (both as stated above), and the brake rotor and rear pulley alignment. You will also be replacing tubes at each tire change, an added cost. Alternatively, you might consider some different cast wheels as shown in the HD Parts and Accessory catalog, which might even be cheaper in the long run.

Congrats, by the way. Dyna's are great and you have a fantastic riding area. The Roots Organic Brewery in Portland is a favorite.

Leave the mags on it. They are a pain in the arse to keep clean but other than that, you've got nothing else to look after, not even tyre pressures. I had mags on my first Sporty and wanted spokes instead. I had spokes on my second Sporty and after a while I decided that mags were'nt such a bad thing.

Back