free website stats program My MSF course starts today - any tips? | Harley Davidson Forums

My MSF course starts today - any tips?

DaveInPA

Frozen Account
Well, the time has come. My MSF course starts tonight. It's tonight and Sunday, and then again next Friday night and Sunday. I've been riding my new Sporty to work and school every day for the past few weeks and I've been LOVING it.

Anyway, any pointers that will help me get the most out of my MSF course?

Thanks!
Dave

+1.

Listen to the instructors, forget any/all bad habits you've already developed, and remember to take a bottle of water with you because you will get tired and thirsty.
Also, one of the key things to take away from the course is "practice, practice, practice".

I agree with all of the above.

And, in addition, try to relax and have fun while learning. I tensed up during the testing phase with predictable results. The bike works a lot better when you let it do what it is designed to do! This is about becoming a better, safer rider. Hopefully your classmates will be coached that way too so that you all enjoy it!

Good luck!

If they tell you "Your helmet must be on while on he bike or else you fail "
They mean it.

Had a guy on my course pass the final test. He was so thrilled he forgot to wear his helmet while driving the bike back to storage. Another instructor saw him without his helmet and failed him on the spot.

Other than that , relax , enjoy and be safe.

Take plenty of water with you, and something to snack on. You can expect to be on the bike for around 6 hours straight. They seem to be in quite a hurry but if you don't get something they are more than willing to help. Sunscreen is a plus as well. I was wearing a full face helmet with the shield up (Don't forget safety glasses), when I got back the first day my face was scorched. Other than that relax, the rider coaches are great and they are really helpful.

Oh, and don't drop the dirt bike they give you to ride (like a guy in my class did), the coaches didn't say anything but the classmates don't let it go. :D

Well the first night of classroom and the first day of riding are over. I can't say I've learned anything new so far, but I have had things reinforced. Riding around on those little 250cc bikes is kinda fun though!

Im glad you are all commenting on this. I start mine in Sept. Im excited and nervous at the same time.

I had a great time on that little yz250 yamaha I rode during mine in may. Just don't go too fast they frown on that. :D

One bit of advice. When you take you test and yu are going through the figure 8 and you put a foot down; leave it down till after you make you final u-turn and head out of the box. Reason being if you leave it down that is only one infraction but if you pick it up and a foot goes sdown a second time that's two infrations. that's the way it was whenn i took my glass. but they didn't tell any one that before hand. Out of twelve people in the class, I think only two or three made it without putting a foot down.

Last edited:
Back