free website stats program my mrs will not be happy yet again, thinking about it... | Harley Davidson Forums

my mrs will not be happy yet again, thinking about it...

hdrocks

reading the posts here for last few weeks, it seems to me that HD riders show tough images but many occasions, talk about ending up in dog hous by mrs. i did my shares by surprsing my mrs first with motorcycle license, first used sportster and then a new one this year. All three times, she found out when i got home. I know when next year comes around or year after that, I will be dreaming about dyna, softtail,etc..how do you guys handle this? just do it and worry later approach like i did?

Well if you get her interested it would help imensly , surprises often return with surprises , you could detour her anger with gifts , something she likes , helps me a lot , but I made the mistake of buying her a gift for the bike which is not recommended , good luck

Yea, make sure you get something for her. Once for my wifes birthday I got her a fishing pole as a joke but she didn't think it was funny at all.

Just sit down and talk about it together, it's a family thing.

Yes fishing poles don't cut it , I wrapped up a starter for the boat once for xmas because she loved boating , I didn't think she could throw it as far as she did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reading the posts here for last few weeks, it seems to me that HD riders show tough images but many occasions, talk about ending up in dog hous by mrs. i did my shares by surprsing my mrs first with motorcycle license, first used sportster and then a new one this year. All three times, she found out when i got home. I know when next year comes around or year after that, I will be dreaming about dyna, softtail,etc..how do you guys handle this? just do it and worry later approach like i did?

Not a great idea. You got away with it several times already so I wouldn't push my luck. What's more important, a motorcycle or your marriage? I would gradually talk about why you're thinking of moving up to a bigger bike (more comfortable for her, right) and mention the Sportster trade up program where you'll get every penny you paid for your new Sporty. Definitely include her in the decision and let her pick out some gear so she feels like she's an important part of the whole process.

Geesh, i wish I'd followed my own advice a year and a half ago. It sounds great as I'm typing it now!

It sounds like you'd rather get forgiveness than permission and that's not always a good for a marriage to work. Like has been said, you might want to include her in the major purchases. I did similar things early on in my marriage and found out that communication is a much better road. YMMV. Good luck.

That is one of the reasons why I never re-married. A Girlfriend will get upset but they live with it as long as your purchase does not put a damper on your "together" spending habits.

Always, I repeat Always include her in the decision making process. As was stated what's more important to you a bike or your marriage? If the purchase doesn't put you in a financial bind and she's ok with bikes you shouldn't have a problem.

I was just curious how others handle the situation. I have to say my mrs is very understanding and puts up with my inconsiderate behavior. She does not like motorcycles period, though. She does not seem to mind too much now when I go for rides, though sometimes she will remind me of what I did, when I forget the take the garbage out or walk the dog or something. I see what others are saying about getting your mrs involved in the decision process, but I knew my mrs would give me 1000 reasons not to get it so this is one rare thing that I did it on my own. One thing she knows I always wear proper gears and read about riding skills and safety, etc..

I guess I'm lucky. It took my wife over a year to talk me into taking riding lessons then after I got my license it took her a moth to talk me into getting my F B. When we were in Vegas a few weeks ago we rented a R k and after being on it for about 20 minutes or so she said maybe it was time to trade up. The thing is, I don't want to trade up; I'd rather wait a couple years or so and hopefully I'll have the money to add on instead of trading up.

Back