free website stats program My mechanic gave up....help please | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

My mechanic gave up....help please

if ive said it once,ive said it a million times,take your stuff to a good,well established indy over running to the dealer.we`ve seen everything,been doing it more than a couple years (like most HD techs)and will wok to find the prob,not run ya out the door cause theres 150 bikes waiting

Ya, members on this forum are awesome. Its got all the knowledge one would ever need to know. Thanks guys!!!

Take care and ride safe eh!!:D

The moment of truth is here. The new hoses have finally arived along with a new regulator. My bike goes "under the knife" tomorrow morning and I am scheduled to pick it up at 1:00. I am 100% confident it will run like a champ once again. Anything is possible, but I am almost there after 4 (yes 4 weeks) of screwing around. My fingers are crossed and I'm ready to buy you all a beer for helping out. Final post on this issue hopefully tomorrow...Cheers!

Got my bike back yesterday after 4 weeks of trial & error diagnosis by two different shops. The good news is the bike runs great. Pulled strong up to 85....good enough for me! The final tally is $285 for shop #1 who insisted it was an electrical problem. No improvement to bike, but I got a new battery. Shop #2 (Local Harley Dealer) $659. They ended up replacing everything in the gas tank, mostly because they had no way to diagnose which part was actually bad. So got two new hoses, regulator, fuel pump & filter and a bunch of clamps & gaskets. In total then it cost me 4 weeks of riding time and $944 in cash. I learned an important lesson from all of this...and that is to do it myself! I can guess just as good as the next guy (especially with all of your help) and replace most any any part. I somehow thought the dealer would have some magic way to diagnose the problem better than I could, guess not. Anyways, bike runs great now that my wallet is lighter and my service manual is on it's way. Till next time, thanks for the advice and ride safe!

This thread reads like a Mastercard (?) commercial. Take your bike to dealer #1, pay for unneeded replacement. Take bike to dealer #2, get another bad diagnosis. Tell dealer to check what HD talking members suggested, CORRECT diagnosis. Belonging to the best HD forum on the www - Priceless.:worthy

This thread reads like a Mastercard (?) commercial. Take your bike to dealer #1, pay for unneeded replacement. Take bike to dealer #2, get another bad diagnosis. Tell dealer to check what HD talking members suggested, CORRECT diagnosis. Belonging to the best HD forum on the www - Priceless.:worthy

I love it Breeze you are a genius

Believe it or not, I bought my Service Manual before I bought my bike. Now that is not saying that I have read the whole thing or that I am a super mechanic, but it has been a great source of information and has answered many trivia questions for me.

Good deal RedRockFatBoy...the first big troubleshooting exercise is a sure way to convert a rider/owner to begin the long DIYer route. The good news is, all it takes is a cool head, tools and a bit of old fashioned plan and approach techniques. Welcome to your "re-introduction" to HDTimeline, your contribution to initiating this thread speaks volumes... great bunch of enthusiasts here to help you! :D

Believe it or not, I bought my Service Manual before I bought my bike. Now that is not saying that I have read the whole thing or that I am a super mechanic, but it has been a great source of information and has answered many trivia questions for me.

I believe you,Before i received my 2008 model,i had service and parts books,SEslip-ons,chrome fork lowers,personalised number plate and a whole host of other bits and chrome pieces.

Lucky i got the bike-eventually.

Back