free website stats program My mechanic gave up....help please | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My mechanic gave up....help please

Don't forget to check the inside of the fuel tank, and those notorious flexible fuel lines that get tiny leaks. Fuel starvation at speed is definitely a possiblility. Bud of course brought up the point that at speed, heat and vibration come into play and of course Smitty is basically saying remove non-essentials to basic operation will simplify your troubleshooting. Certainly have a lot of options besides "giving up"...

higher speed and below half a tank is where the hose really acts up

Bud is right. I know that you said above that you had replaced the fuel filter and hoses. But not taking anything for granted, did you replace the fuel filter, pressure regulator and BOTH plastic convoluted tubing sections? I have had a lot of problems with these cheap bits of plastic tubing. See here:

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

You guys have great suggestions, thanks to all. No way am I giving up and in fact want to ride today....So, yes we did remove the PC to de-clutter the diagnosis and o2 sensors are off. We did not replace the plastic tube in the tank.....but will do that today and see what happens. The HD dealer here has had their share of problems, so most of us do use another shop in town. Out of frustration, my bike is at the dealer now in hopes they can get her running again. They say will check it out today, so will let all know what they tell me. In the mean time, I will suggest all of your ideas. Thanks again & ride safe!

check platic line inside your tank,seen them crack,will let all fuel pressure bleed off,a very common prob

Yep, had the same thing happen to me last year. Small hole in the fuel line inside the tank prevented the bike from accelerating. By the time I got home
from the 4 day trip, I couldn't get the bike over 50 mph. Popping, sputtering, sneezing anytime I tried to roll on even a smidgen of throttle.

Update. My Harley dealer rode the bike today and said it just needed new plugs. I laughed and told him to put them in and call me back. Of course it didn't improve things. I mentioned the two hoses and the dialog I had with you guys. They put a pressure gage on the pump and it only read 15 pounds instead of 50ish. So clearly that's been the problem. Thanks to you, think we have it solved. Is replacing the hoses inside the tank something best left to the dealer....or something a reasonable guy could wrench himself? Thanks for all the help!!!!Q

Is replacing the hoses inside the tank something best left to the dealer....or something a reasonable guy could wrench himself? Thanks for all the help!!!!Q

Depending on your mechanical skills, you should be able to do it if you are reasonably handy with tools. Replace all the sealing washers and the gasket if you do it yourself.

Well well well, Isn't that something,,, the HD dealer shop has to take the FINE advice on troubleshooting from a bunch of GUYS from the HDT forum....

Now you get the picture... THIS site works great! Together on this problem, it really SHINES!

Good job to all who replied here!

signed....BUBBIE

Back