free website stats program My mechanic gave up....help please | Harley Davidson Forums

My mechanic gave up....help please

I have a 2005 Fatboy which used to run pretty good. Now the bike starts & runs up to 50 mph or so and then seems to bog down and not pull anymore....as if it goes down to one cylinder. No throttle response at that speed and impossible to pass anybody. We changed out the gas and all fuel line filters and still persists. Next changed out plugs, plug wires, coil, power commander, battery & cables and still no better. Dosen't seem to be mechanical or fuel related, but we have not been able to fix the problem. The computer says it's misfiring, but that leaves lots of doors open. Any suggestions/help would be most appreciated.

check the fuel injector wire for breaks feel the wire not just look .. the speed and vibration might be enough to cause it to split at speed..

I don`t know if your bike has cats in the exhaust pipes but it could be they or one is melting down or a baffle is turning under load . your discription sounds like its constapated. if you have 02 sensors remove them & then test drive with holes open.it will be noisy but you will know if the power is back.

You also may want to inspect the inside of the tank, you replaced the filter, but did not elude to what you found, could still have debris in the tank that could reclog the new filter. And those flexible hoses Prodrag1320 related to inside the tank are rather "notorious." As it is only during higher speeds, fuel starvation, and stresses may show intermittants as Bid stated. And Smitty did bring up the point that sometimes it helps to simplify and remove all the add-ons, making your troubleshooting easier.

You also may want to inspect the inside of the tank, you replaced the filter, but did not elude to what you found, could still have debris in the tank that could reclog the new filter. And those flexible hoses Prodrag1320 related to inside the tank are rather "notorious." As it is only during higher speeds, fuel starvation, and stresses may show intermittants as Bid stated. And Smitty did bring up the point that sometimes it helps to simplify and remove all the add-ons, making your troubleshooting easier.

higher speed and below half a tank is where the hose really acts up

higher speed and below half a tank is where the hose really acts up

That sure sounds like a fuel problem, when the demand for fuel is needed and it aint there, thats where I would be looking , in the tank

Back