free website stats program My head breather filter | Harley Davidson Forums

My head breather filter

J

Jack Klarich

0009328-23.jpg
I modified this to catch the oil from the head breathers on my M8, seems to work good, I can remove a plastic cap on the threaded end to drain the oil out

It is am in line air tool oilier, u can find em @ Harbor Freight or Sears

I just rode 150 miles and have about a teaspoon of oil in the collector, no more in the throttle body, I can drain it when it is full, I put a plastic cap on the threaded end
Push_Pull_Dispensing_Caps_Group_Shot.jpg
Like this

Hard to mod the head breathers to vent to the atmosphere on the M8 motor because of the molded backing plate. The OEM filter is very restrictive as well. Recently saw a before/after dyno on an M8 that the owner had replaced the OEM A/C with a Heavy Breather and picked up 5HP; significant for just replacing the air filter. The head pipe is restrictive as well but the dyno showed less HP gain than just replacing the air filter. The OEM mufflers actually seem to flow pretty well based on the posts I have been following on other forum from guys that are starting to experiment with minor modifications while waiting for the aftermarket to catch up.

Hard to mod the head breathers to vent to the atmosphere on the M8 motor because of the molded backing plate

I'm curious on how it was done, maybe some pic's would be helpful for those who would be interested in doing it.

A good self help tip too.

I'm curious on how it was done, maybe some pic's would be helpful for those who would be interested in doing it. A good self help tip too.

The guy could not figure out how to vent the M8 head breathers to the atmosphere with the OEM air cleaner/backing plate so he replaced it with a Heavy Breather. The H/B backing plate can be easily modified to vent to the atmosphere.

The guy could not figure out how to vent the M8 head breathers to the atmosphere with the OEM air cleaner/backing plate so he replaced it with a Heavy Breather. The H/B backing plate can be easily modified to vent to the atmosphere.
Nah, drill a hole in the back side of the backing plate, t the hoses and run down the back of frame to my catch filter

Hard to mod the head breathers to vent to the atmosphere on the M8 motor because of the molded backing plate. The OEM filter is very restrictive as well. Recently saw a before/after dyno on an M8 that the owner had replaced the OEM A/C with a Heavy Breather and picked up 5HP; significant for just replacing the air filter. The head pipe is restrictive as well but the dyno showed less HP gain than just replacing the air filter. The OEM mufflers actually seem to flow pretty well based on the posts I have been following on other forum from guys that are starting to experiment with minor modifications while waiting for the aftermarket to catch up.
I dunno bout the filter, it has a pretty free flowing air box compared to the 103 IMO, in fact the bottom of the cover is kind of cheaply made it snaps on and has 1 odd ball screw
I have already punched out my baffle centers and it did seem to make a change with NO popping, I am guessing because of the knock sensors, The P&A catalog is confusing on the K N air filter, the Stock HD filter is a very high quality filter since the 103, it has a nice wire mesh and the forward screen has an air splitter

I dunno bout the filter, it has a pretty free flowing air box compared to the 103 IMO, in fact the bottom of the cover is kind of cheaply made it snaps on and has 1 odd ball screw
I have already punched out my baffle centers and it did seem to make a change with NO popping, I am guessing because of the knock sensors, The P&A catalog is confusing on the K N air filter, the Stock HD filter is a very high quality filter since the 103, it has a nice wire mesh and the forward screen has an air splitter

The dyno doesn't lie. The M8 filter is a quality filter but it doesn't flow well at all, nor does the head pipe. I am still doing home work, just to learn since I don't own an M8, but apparently the breathing circuit on the M8 motor is different from the TC. Not doubting the effectiveness of your setup but more interested in the performance gains available by simply replacing the filter with a hi flow unit which also means the breather venting system from an earlier model can be transferred over to the M8 with the filter mod.

Back