My first oil change.. mazal tov. & some questions

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by israguard, Mar 20, 2011.

1. israguard

israguard Active Member

Hi Guys,
    Well I finally got my hands a bit dirty. Im a mid life crisis yuppy who usually just has the dealer pick up the bike, do what he has to and bring bike back. After reading quite a few comments here & getting a verbal beating from a few fellow riders.. went to dealership. Spent $75 on synthetic oil, filter & filter key and within 15 minutes I was done with my first ever HD oil change. I also saved a few hundred $$$. I do however have 2 questions:
    1) What is a "primary" ? What is its purpose and is it the same as the transmission or part of it ?.

I ask because at the parts dept I saw a orange/plastic gizmo used for changing the primary oil and couldnt figure what its all about.

I will be doing any/all oil changes from now on so hope someone can explain it to me as if I was 5yrs old.

Lastly, is it necessary to change transmission oil after bike has sat around fror 6 months with no activity ?.Or unlike engine oil, should it only be changed at the 10,000 Kilometer point ?.

Thanks in advance for your help & patience reading this thread.
    Rgds, Shawn

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

The primary is that big thingy that is on the left side of the bike and connects the side of the engine with the transmission. The train plug is in the bottom and it usually takes from one quart to 38 ounces depending on the year and model of the bike.

The trans isn't as critical as changing engine oil but on the other hand it's only usually about a quart of GEAR OIL to change it out.

I do all three oils when I service at 2500-3000 miles or before winter lay up.

3. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

I think the orange plastic gizzmo you saw is a funnel to put oil in the primary.

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Maybe it was that special HD hat that you have to wear when you do it? :s

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Good luck if you run into trouble report back here and we will get you squared away:s

6. flh canuck

flh canuck Active Member

Congrats on taking the plunge and getting your hands dirty. You are now officially a motorcyclist.

Your next step is to invest in a Harley Davidson shop manual specific to your motorcycle.

Not cheap but it will be the best money you ever spent.

7. israguard

israguard Active Member

i saw it.. held it... drooled over it... but they wanted $90 for it.. so I said maybe next time. But I'll get it.

8. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

Try getting one from the US. Probably 40% cheaper.

9. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

10. HOLY DIVER

HOLY DIVER Junior Member

congrats on doing your own maintenance, everybody has there own way of doing things like service intervals different brand oils etc. get yourself a service manual and just do as it says and you will be just fine. and again CONGRATS!