free website stats program My First Harley | Harley Davidson Forums

My First Harley

bogeymc

Well I got my first Harley and touring bike, 2007 FLHTCU I'm very excided but nerves too lol! its my First touring bike and one of this size! I'm 45 but have been riding and racing motocross when I was a kid! My son and little girl both raced dirt bikes, so were no newbie of bikes! ive had many street bikes when I was younger like Ninja's so ive road the road before! but not for a long time! can yall give this Newbie Harley guy some good points and Advice on my bike! thanks Sean

Congrats on your new ride. Welcome to this home away from home. Lots of great people here to help with repairs and how to spend your extra $$$.
My advice is to visit the gas station as much as possible

Congrats, and welcome aboard. I would suggest taking a riding course as a refresher, (at least watch some videos) , buy a service manual, and add the appropriate tools as needed to your collection. (Things such as torque wrenches etc). I do my own general maintenance on my bike. If I need anything major, I am fortunate to have a motorcycle guru with oil running through his veins next door. ;)

As a side note, 20 years ago when I was big time racing mountain bikes, I read a lot of magazines, talked to a lot of folks, and had read / heard that if you are about to go down on a gravel road, you could save yourself by 'stomping' your outside pedal. Well, one Sunday, I was racing along a gravel road and someone had cut me off short and clipped my wheel...I'm on my way down, and somehow remembered that bit of advice. ( I never wanted to practice that move and all due to the consequences of crashing on gravel...) I 'stomped' my upside/outside pedal and woolah, the bike popped right back up! Saved me 50-75 yards of gravelly road rash! :) So yeah, I believe that reading and videos can help you be prepared for certain situations!

X 2 as @Joyflyin Said on taking a rider safety course. Best $350.00 (what it cost here) you will ever spend. Harley Davidson safety academy is excellent. It could easily save you a ton of grief, pain, money in the long run,,,,, not to mention you life. Plus your family and loved ones a lot of grief. Just the piece of mind is worth every penny of it.

Congrats, and welcome aboard. I would suggest taking a riding course as a refresher, (at least watch some videos) , buy a service manual, and add the appropriate tools as needed to your collection. (Things such as torque wrenches etc). I do my own general maintenance on my bike. If I need anything major, I am fortunate to have a motorcycle guru with oil running through his veins next door. ;)

As a side note, 20 years ago when I was big time racing mountain bikes, I read a lot of magazines, talked to a lot of folks, and had read / heard that if you are about to go down on a gravel road, you could save yourself by 'stomping' your outside pedal. Well, one Sunday, I was racing along a gravel road and someone had cut me off short and clipped my wheel...I'm on my way down, and somehow remembered that bit of advice. ( I never wanted to practice that move and all due to the consequences of crashing on gravel...) I 'stomped' my upside/outside pedal and woolah, the bike popped right back up! Saved me 50-75 yards of gravelly road rash! :) So yeah, I believe that reading and videos can help you be prepared for certain situations!

thank man yep I'm taking the bike class this weekend

I was reading if I run 89 instead of 93 the bike will run cooler is this right? also I do I put up pics on here

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tend to disagree with running the 89 octane. I do not have the scientific/technical data to back it up...JMO. However, I can say that in my cars, I like 93 over 89 just for the overall performance/gas mileage. Which BTW, I had the Joy of proving to the hubby on a trip to Florida last January that we got much better fuel mileage with the premium grade fuel in our car than when he put the cheap stuff in it. Even in the flat lands of Florida. :D

Back