free website stats program My fingers tingle - suggestions? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

My fingers tingle - suggestions?

it could have many causes:

Vibration itself damages capillaries and nerves so do things that lessen the amout of vibration your hands absorb. Gloves, looser grip, cruise control, cushioned grips.

Bending the wrist increases pressure within the carpal tunnel and can temporarily cause paraesthesias (abnormal nerve sensations) - keep the wrist straighter

carpal tunnel - this would develop over time from using your hand on the job and at home in ways that damage the tendons - this includes improper keyboarding technique, bending wrist when working with hand tools, incorrect gripping of hand tools, bent wrist on steering wheel, forklift controls, etc - improve hand techniques

Blood flow conditions affecting the hand including raynauds syndrome which need to be evaluated by a physician for the cause. these are often seen with inherited or acquired types of arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis, lymes disease, etc.

Blood vessel or nerve compression at the neck and shoulder region including pinched nerves of the neck from degenerative arthritis, thoracic outlet syndrome, scalenus anticus syndrome, pectoralis minor syndrome, etc. These would need to be diagnosed by someone who specializes in physical medicine like a physiatrist, orthopedist or chiropractor.

Myofascial trigger points of the Infraspinatus muscle or teres minor muscle in the shoulder. these can refer numbness down the arm or in the hand when the arm is held with the elbows at or near shoulder hieght and drawn forward, like riding or sleeping with the arms elevated.

this is just a small sampling of potential conditions. Some can be alleviated with addressing the muscles and joints thru better positioning of the arm and hands when working and riding, strengthening and stretching the entire upper body region, paying particulalr attention to strengthening the rotator cuff and upper back muscles and stretching the pectoralis muscles if needed.

If yuor self care does not resolve the issue, see a physician but most general practitioners are not well versed in differentially diagnosing these conditions, so see one of the types of physicians listed above. good luck.

it could have many causes:

Vibration itself damages capillaries and nerves so do things that lessen the amout of vibration your hands absorb. Gloves, looser grip, cruise control, cushioned grips.

Bending the wrist increases pressure within the carpal tunnel and can temporarily cause paraesthesias (abnormal nerve sensations) - keep the wrist straighter

carpal tunnel - this would develop over time from using your hand on the job and at home in ways that damage the tendons - this includes improper keyboarding technique, bending wrist when working with hand tools, incorrect gripping of hand tools, bent wrist on steering wheel, forklift controls, etc - improve hand techniques

Blood flow conditions affecting the hand including raynauds syndrome which need to be evaluated by a physician for the cause. these are often seen with inherited or acquired types of arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis, lymes disease, etc.

Blood vessel or nerve compression at the neck and shoulder region including pinched nerves of the neck from degenerative arthritis, thoracic outlet syndrome, scalenus anticus syndrome, pectoralis minor syndrome, etc. These would need to be diagnosed by someone who specializes in physical medicine like a physiatrist, orthopedist or chiropractor.

Myofascial trigger points of the Infraspinatus muscle or teres minor muscle in the shoulder. these can refer numbness down the arm or in the hand when the arm is held with the elbows at or near shoulder hieght and drawn forward, like riding or sleeping with the arms elevated.

this is just a small sampling of potential conditions. Some can be alleviated with addressing the muscles and joints thru better positioning of the arm and hands when working and riding, strengthening and stretching the entire upper body region, paying particulalr attention to strengthening the rotator cuff and upper back muscles and stretching the pectoralis muscles if needed.

If yuor self care does not resolve the issue, see a physician but most general practitioners are not well versed in differentially diagnosing these conditions, so see one of the types of physicians listed above. good luck.
I am sure glad that you're a member of this forum! That was very informative & interesting. Thank's you for the enlightenment.:)

Nerve damage. Carpal tunnel or whatever other medical term is out there. Fortunately it is manageable. One of these winters I'm going to look into surgery for a solution. However a little weary of the surgeons knife.

I am really glad you guys brought this thread back to the top, after eading through it again, I realized I never got back with the results of the ride.

Prior to leaving, I did a few stretches that someone had recommended, then we headed out for Sky Line Drive with me making a very deliberate effort to make sure my grip was relaxed. I rode for about 3 hours with one stop early and a second for lunch. I did not have a problem with tingling of the fingers.

Next day we rode Sky Line Drive (35 MPH and alot of turns) from sunrise until about noon with a lot of stops for sight seeing. Still no problem.

We headed back to the motel on a dual lane black top, 50 MPH, took about 2 hours, nice country type of ride, still no problems.

On the way back, we travelled for about 3 hours straight in the rain @ 50MPH. 3 lane highway, and still no problem.

I believe holding too tight to the grips was the major problem of the tingling fingers --- holding on too tight --- as many had mentioned. I also noticed that I seem to lean to far forard and therefore down, putting pressure on my wrist. I am going to install the Hammock seat which is 2" thicker than stock, so I am also going to install a new set of bars that are 4 1/4" taller, every other measurement seems identical. I think this will solve all of my comfort issues.

Thanks for all of you advise.

Bob

I am not Doc but I had the same problem even driving a car my finger tingle and when I got my bike it was worst .So I tried a few tricks but a good chiropractic fixed my problem

I'd try what sprinklerfitter suggested and switch to Herritage bars. All the police Road Kings come stock with these. I'm 6-4 and used to have a 03 RK. Even with my reach, I found the stock bars to cause me to feel like I was reaching forward and leaning forward as you described. The other advise is your grip might be to tight, especially if you're noticing it on the twisties, where you might be gripping tighter. I have an 04 Road Glide with stock bars and occaisionally notice the same thing with my hands, but not so severe as yours. Just relaxing my grip fixes the problem. On my 2010 FLHTK, I've never had this problem and my arms are not reaching as far forward and the Road Glide either.

I am really glad you guys brought this thread back to the top, after eading through it again, I realized I never got back with the results of the ride.

Prior to leaving, I did a few stretches that someone had recommended, then we headed out for Sky Line Drive with me making a very deliberate effort to make sure my grip was relaxed. I rode for about 3 hours with one stop early and a second for lunch. I did not have a problem with tingling of the fingers.

Next day we rode Sky Line Drive (35 MPH and alot of turns) from sunrise until about noon with a lot of stops for sight seeing. Still no problem.

We headed back to the motel on a dual lane black top, 50 MPH, took about 2 hours, nice country type of ride, still no problems.

On the way back, we travelled for about 3 hours straight in the rain @ 50MPH. 3 lane highway, and still no problem.

I believe holding too tight to the grips was the major problem of the tingling fingers --- holding on too tight --- as many had mentioned. I also noticed that I seem to lean too far forard and therefore down, putting pressure on my wrist. I am going to install the Hammock seat which is 2" thicker than stock, so I am also going to install a new set of bars that are 4 1/4" taller, every other measurement seems identical. I think this will solve all of my comfort issues.

Thanks for all of you advise.

Bob

Glad you found out above what worked...being a sport bike rider for many years...I had to find out after 2 years of street riding on a metric folded up like a pretzel with plenty of weight on the wrists and arms pump up after a short "spirited" ride in the mountains. As I said earlier, learning not to GRIP and doing a little physical therapy before the ride helps, no more cold or numb hands for me! :s

I know the HD dealer in ACY has a bike mock up that you can try different handle bars and seats. Maybe that would help. But that's hard to say beacause your not riding. Good luck.

Try a set of Avon Air Grips and maybe if that doesnt help Klock Werks Ergo bars with grips did wonders for me!

Back