free website stats program My fingers tingle - suggestions? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

My fingers tingle - suggestions?

I am really glad for this thread as I have the same problem after a bit of riding. I am pretty sure mine is carpal tunnel, I just haven't had time for surgery yet. I did have a doctor tell me to do the hand stetches also. It does seem to help, I just need to try and remember to do that before I ride.

My fingers go numb also but not from the handlebars. There is a condition known as Renauds Syndrome. Excessive vibration interferes with the capillary function in your hands extremities. In my case it came from years of using pneumatic tools, chainsaws, weedwackers, etc.
I think the advice that others have given you could be beneficial because I do not get numb tingly fingers at all when I ride my bike so maybe it is the handlebar fit. Mine must fit me correctly.
Hope you get that resolved.

Had the same on a cross country trip a bunch of years back.. vibration.

Took almost a week for it to stop after I finished :bigsmiley6:

There are a lot of good exercises we can do to strengthen our bodies , check with your primary Dr for a referal to O T , it has helped me to be able to continue working and riding with a very bad back and nerve damage in my left leg, give it a try:s

See a chiropractor If your out of alliment and the way U sit, I had the same prob, the doc put me straight litterly, now my ride is much more enjoyable.

Hello everyone,

Need you advise, again :D.

When I ride, my fingers go numb, like when your arm or leg goes to sleep from a lack of circulation. It starts at the tips and works back until all of my fingers seem like they are not there. It gets to a point that I really cannot feel them. This is not only uncomfortable, but obviously dangerous. I would probably not be able to ride if it were not for the cruise control that allows me to rest my right hand also.

It is more severe if I have not ridden for a for a while, like after winter, or if a week or two goes by without ridding. If I ride consitantly for a few days it gets better and better to a point that it takes and hour or more for it to happen. It also seems to be more severe if I am ridding on a twisty road, even for a short distances.

My thought is that the handle bars might need to be replaced with something taller, maybe even larger hand grips, but I am not sure and would appreciate your input on what to do.

I seem to fit the bike well, I am comfortable in every other respect but this one, and do not have to reach too far for a full lock turn, my feet are flat on the ground at a stop. I do notice that as I ride, I tend to lean further and further forward as the day goes on, hense the riders back rest.

I know this is a very tough for anyone to give an absolute correct answer, but I am trying to see if I am on the correct path and really appreciate you opionons and advise.

I am 6'-2", 270lbs. I ride a 2009 RK, all stock, adjustable riders backrest, highway pegs, mirror extensions (because I could not see around my shoulders with the stock mirrors).

Thanks alot.
Bob

Some good advice in some of the posts above.

One of the options is to change the harmonics of the bars vibrations. See here:

Bar Snake - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

WOW! I thought this would be an easy one. Everyone has posted soooo many good ideas.

I started with the least expensive. I ran several errands yesterday on the bike. I rode a total of 51 miles of varring distances, speeds and road conditions.

Someone had suggested placing my hands flat on a table about waste high and leaning forward. I did this twice during the day before riding. Someone else suggested stretching before and I guess durring the ride, I did this also.

For the first few miles I knda forgot about the fingers and was just having a nice ride, then the pins nd needles started. I tried checked how tight my grip was and found that I did have a pretty firm (not extreem) grip, much tighter than I thought, so I set the cruise control and rested my hand until it felt better, then I "hooked" my hand over the grip and tried to keep is loose. Seemed to work pretty good for the rest of the ride.

Now, I see alot of ideas to try to solve this issue for me, even "snakes on a bike" for the handle bars, and that really makes sense.

For now, I have a weekend planned for Skyline Drive (9/24 - 9/26), so I am really going to give all the stretching and relaxing a real good try, then, if that does not solve the problem, I will open the wallet, let the moths out for some fresh air, and try some more of these great ideas.

Thank you all for the thoughts, I will keep you informed.

Bob

Could be a lot of things that cause this to happen. I would start simple, things you can change with no cost, position of bars etc..., and then move up from there to get more comfortable.

I also agree that you may want to just let your Doctor know you have this issue, it could be an indicator of something unknown to you at this time.

Then again you said the more you ride the less it happens RIDE ON!

hope it works itself out.

Back