free website stats program My fingers tingle - suggestions? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My fingers tingle - suggestions?

2010 FatBoy; I pulled bars back so when sitting on bike and put my arms out with wrists straight my hands sit on the grips, no twisting or turning of wrists. And also put on the big foam type hand grips along with wearing gel padded gloves. No tingling or numbing now.
wilks3

Last edited:
I find that tight fitting gloves (such as thicker winter gloves) will cut off my circulation (which is what is happening) -- take a look at your gloves IF you wear them. IF not, then it could be your grip is too tight.

Bill

Was havin the same problem - pins & needles in fingers - till I read another thread here; took the advice of loosening the grip and hav'nt had a problem since

If it is carpal tunel blockage 1 thing you can do is look at how far you can bend your hand back, fingers straight, compair them side by side, if you stand beside a table that is waist high, put both hands flat down in front of you, arms straight and lean forward slightly, not causing pain, as you are able to stretch the wrist out you can increase the leaning forward, do this lean and hold [ 10-15 sec.] 5 times a day, you can increase hold time after you have stetched them , being carfull not to lean to far. Doing this can help open the tunel in the wrist some and allow for better blood flow.

My fingers go numb also but not from the handlebars. There is a condition known as Renauds Syndrome. Excessive vibration interferes with the capillary function in your hands extremities. In my case it came from years of using pneumatic tools, chainsaws, weedwackers, etc.
I think the advice that others have given you could be beneficial because I do not get numb tingly fingers at all when I ride my bike so maybe it is the handlebar fit. Mine must fit me correctly.
Hope you get that resolved.

i have the same problem from crushed discs in my neck. i bought the biggest diameter grips i could find. the stock grips are far too small when you carry big ham hocks on the end of your arms. i got the big foam grips for my 01 rk and the big fluted grips on the '10. the fluted ones are still too small and i'm looking for something much larger. just a little smaller than a soda can would be ideal for a good grip yet comfortable feel.

i have the same problem from crushed discs in my neck. i bought the biggest diameter grips i could find. the stock grips are far too small when you carry big ham hocks on the end of your arms. i got the big foam grips for my 01 rk and the big fluted grips on the '10. the fluted ones are still too small and i'm looking for something much larger. just a little smaller than a soda can would be ideal for a good grip yet comfortable feel.

Ouch, I too have similar problems going back 18 years, I wear gloves always and stretch and relax my hands while riding:s

Hello everyone,

Need you advise, again :D.

When I ride, my fingers go numb, like when your arm or leg goes to sleep from a lack of circulation. It starts at the tips and works back until all of my fingers seem like they are not there. It gets to a point that I really cannot feel them. This is not only uncomfortable, but obviously dangerous. I would probably not be able to ride if it were not for the cruise control that allows me to rest my right hand also.

It is more severe if I have not ridden for a for a while, like after winter, or if a week or two goes by without ridding. If I ride consitantly for a few days it gets better and better to a point that it takes and hour or more for it to happen. It also seems to be more severe if I am ridding on a twisty road, even for a short distances...

...I know this is a very tough for anyone to give an absolute correct answer, but I am trying to see if I am on the correct path and really appreciate you opionons and advise.

I am 6'-2", 270lbs. I ride a 2009 RK, all stock, adjustable riders backrest, highway pegs, mirror extensions (because I could not see around my shoulders with the stock mirrors).

Thanks alot.
Bob

One key thing that will help and costs nothing is to learn to not clasp the grips so hard. Many riders have a tendancy to GRIP tightly because Harley grip are 1" grips instead of the "metric" standard 7/8" diameter.

On my metric sportbikes I used to have cold hands as a newbie until I realized the I should only "hook" my fingers around the grip to the opposed thumb...this was a racer tip from the great Eddie Lawson...when asked how can you ride for so long and not have carpal tunnel or other hand injuries. He said he press his opposing hands open but backwards ("pancake" presses) to loosen up the tightness in his wrists on the grid before the beginning of a gruelling GP race...and as a perspective, back then they had to run, push their 360 lb 2 Stroke race bikes, drop the clutch and jump on like a bronco rider to start their bikes, which underscored that they be physically in tip-top shape.

Bottom line, do a bit of hand stretching and such before riding, and hook the fingers and not GRIP. Who needs grip heaters in winter...never a warmth issue ever since.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advise.

It seems the biggest suggestion is to relax a little and loosen the grip. I do not think I hold on too tight, but I bet I do. I am going to give this a try first. I konw there are times that I have the "DEATH GRIP", but it is usually due to something that just happenned or might happen, maybe that is why it seems worse or at least more prevolent in the corners. I'm gonna give it a very good look next time I ride.

Handle bars seem to be second, I did not relize they could move (tilt) back much, so maybe that is next.

I like it when the solution might be this simple, and CHEAP.

Thanks alot, I will let you know how much this helps.

Bob

Back