free website stats program My Cams experience 2010 flhtk pratical this vs that | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

My Cams experience 2010 flhtk pratical this vs that

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my cams. Not because I need too, I just want too. I'm also looking for another reason to spin a wrench again. Already installed EJK, new slip-ons, and intake. This post has me drooling.

FerrousBueller,

Where are you Now on your 09 softail, what mods over the stock HD?

I really like the added power of the SE 255's especially in my 09 RK 96" bike..

Probably won't go 103" for quite a while. When I do, I will get a street port from Dewey's Heads PLUS install Manual Pressure Relief Valves..

signed....BUBBIE

FerrousBueller,

Where are you Now on your 09 softail, what mods over the stock HD?

I really like the added power of the SE 255's especially in my 09 RK 96" bike..

Probably won't go 103" for quite a while. When I do, I will get a street port from Dewey's Heads PLUS install Manual Pressure Relief Valves..

signed....BUBBIE

Oh, Right... I guess it would help to know what I've done so far.
Dobeck EJK Gen 3
American Custom "Bullet" Mufflers
K&N RK-3910, Filter Kit

I Think I've posted each upgrade on this forum. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Cool. That's what I figured. And a cheaper upgrade too.:small3d026:
I am doing My Re-Build PIECE-MEAL.
So Far: Full stage one, TFI (a MUST), SE 255 cams...

I planned to go (when finished) to 103" and have Dewey's Heads Here in Wash. do a "Street Port" and Install Compression Relief Valves.

This Plan ALLOWS me to USE the 96" pistons and take advantage of a RE-Built Top End when i want or Need.

This set up is working GREAT. I came Off a "Hot Rod" TC bike that had over 100+T and 100+ HP.... I REALLY wondered when I got the STOCK 09 FLHR 96" bike broken in????
WHAT WAS I THINKING? going to a SLUG bike?

That all Changed as soon as I went Full stage one and TFI... I DID notice a big difference BIG difference:newsmile01:

Again MOST will say to go 103" for the BANG,,,, I WENT with the SE255''s First and NOT the 103" like many were telling me MORE POWER...

Up against a Stock 103, I OUT PULLED off the line and out to about 80 before we let off the throttles... the comment WAS from the 103" rider as SURPRISED,,, his was BIGGER at 103" full stage one/HD Re-Map,,,, but MINE Blew Him away. TFI and my Cams Made the BIG difference.

Just for now, I have V&H slip-ons (both big holes) SE air, TFI and SE255 cams.

SO I feel the 103" can WAIT a While longer.. A Great Feeling in the seat of the pants and a :D on my face....

signed....BUBBIE

Oh, Right... I guess it would help to know what I've done so far.
Dobeck EJK Gen 3
American Custom "Bullet" Mufflers
K&N RK-3910, Filter Kit

I Think I've posted each upgrade on this forum. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

I have read your upgrades and you are On-Track
Looks like You're a :D....

If you go with a set of cams, Look where YOU want the RPM to come-on and Careful NOT to go too big or you will have to UP the Compression and Head work to fit the cams... BOLT INs do Change out a motor well but the WRONG CAM can REDUCE the performance of a bike IF NOT DONE With the RIGHT OTHER PARTS and Head work.. Careful

In a Cam, BIGGER is NOT always Better.

The SE 255's IMHO, Work Good with All the Stock 96" Big Bikes and go in as Bolt-Ins. With a Hefty .550 lift over the stock cams at .484 lift. This helps fill the piston/head chambers to give you a Big Burn..

I went with the SE 255's for the propose of Later doing the 103".. I'm Happy with it Right Now and will WAIT longer to go 103"and head work.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:

I have read your upgrades and you are On-Track
Looks like You're a :D....

If you go with a set of cams, Look where YOU want the RPM to come-on and Careful NOT to go too big or you will have to UP the Compression and Head work to fit the cams... BOLT INs do Change out a motor well but the WRONG CAM can REDUCE the performance of a bike IF NOT DONE With the RIGHT OTHER PARTS and Head work.. Careful

In a Cam, BIGGER is NOT always Better.

The SE 255's IMHO, Work Good with All the Stock 96" Big Bikes and go in as Bolt-Ins. With a Hefty .550 lift over the stock cams at .484 lift. This helps fill the piston/head chambers to give you a Big Burn..

I went with the SE 255's for the propose of Later doing the 103".. I'm Happy with it Right Now and will WAIT longer to go 103"and head work.

signed....BUBBIE

Planning on doing LOTS of research before I upgrade the cams.
I don't see much mention of these: Easy Start Cams from S&S® Cycle The 583 Midrange looks like the ones for me.
Looks like a real good idea. No compression releases to install, allows easier spin up of my motor for starting. Because of the easier starting, my battery and starter would have less wear and tear. If I decided to do this upgrade it wouldn't be 'til next winter. I'm eager to ride (and enjoy) my bike.

I hope we haven't hijacked "tire smoke's" thread!

Thank You!... Sir Bubbie!

Last edited:
Planning on doing LOTS of research before I upgrade the cams.
I don't see much mention of these: Easy Start Cams from S&S® Cycle The 583 Midrange looks like the ones for me.
Looks like a real good idea. No compression releases to install, allows easier spin up of my motor for starting. Because of the easier starting, my battery and starter would have less wear and tear. If I decided to do this upgrade it wouldn't be 'til next winter. I'm eager to ride (and enjoy) my bike.

I hope we haven't hijacked "tire smoke's" thread!

Thank You!... Sir Bubbie!
Those cams are not a "Bolt in" cam, meaning you will have to change the valve springs to accommodate the .583" lift. The max lift that the stock springs will handle is .575".

If you are planning on staying at 96in then I would suggest either the Andrews 48N or the SE 204. Both are capable of 90+ hp and 100 ft-lbs of torque. If you think you might later go to a 103 then a Woods TW 5-6 or a Cycle Rama 575.

Those cams are not a "Bolt in" cam, meaning you will have to change the valve springs to accommodate the .583" lift. The max lift that the stock springs will handle is .575".

If you are planning on staying at 96in then I would suggest either the Andrews 48N or the SE 204. Both are capable of 90+ hp and 100 ft-lbs of torque. If you think you might later go to a 103 then a Woods TW 5-6 or a Cycle Rama 575.
Mr. R. Bingham is RIGHT on the money HERE again... You can take His statements, and Suggestions to the bank....

I've Learned a lot from him...

Thanks Bingham.

signed....BUBBIE

Just in the process of installing my SE 103 kit with 255 cams.

New pistons and cylinders are on. Heads are out at machine shop to have the manual compression releases installed.

Today I will open up the cam chest to install the 255s. Hopefully my heads will be ready to go back later today.

Cant wait to get things back together and and go for a spin. :D

Attachments

• bike pics 001.jpg
    bike pics 001.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 22
  • jugs 005 (2).jpg
    jugs 005 (2).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the picts...

That really looks NICE..

You are Smart going with the manual reliefs..

Keep us posted and tell ALL..

? what thickness is are your Head gaskets?
.030 or .045 OR?

Not recommended to run over 190# of static compression BUT Compression = Power

I plan to use the .030's and bump just a little more out of Mine..

Other members here will say Not to go too high but I'm a COMPRESSION addict..

If I can PUMP 195 @ 800' elevation.... I'll be Happy... BUT remember ELEVATION has a lot to do with compression pressure... Sea level is HIGH on CCP and 4400 feet is LOW on CCP..

4400 feet When I'm in Az.
At least I'll be able to start it there BUT I'll NEED the releases at Sea-Level for sure.

signed....BUBBIE

Hi Bubbie,

Gonna stick with the stock head gaskets that came with the kit as I believe they are .045 thickness.

I live pretty close to sea level here on the coast so don't want to push my luck. Should run pretty close to 200 psi cranking pressure as is with this combo.

Got the cam chest all buttoned back up. Decided to replace the inner cam bearings with the SE upgrades while it was apart and installed the SE255 cams. Didn't bother checking crank run-out as the inner cam support plate where the oil pump runs against looked really good and no signs of abnormal wear.

Heads wont be ready till tomorrow and then I can start putting the top end back together.

Been going kinda slow on this as its the first time I have ever taken a Harley engine apart but it really has been enjoyable to work on. I'm probably a little fussier than some when it comes to re-assembly but I like to make sure everything is as good as it can be.

Might have her running by tomorrow afternoon if everything goes according to plan.

Back