free website stats program My Cams experience 2010 flhtk pratical this vs that | Harley Davidson Forums

My Cams experience 2010 flhtk pratical this vs that

tire smoke

after researching cams that would improve the performance of my flhtk I came up with recommendations for the Woods TW6-6 cams and the SE 255 cams.....the recommendations for the TW6-6s outnumbered the SE255s so I ordered a set along with a PCV loaded with map for my mods.....which included SE Stage 1 AC....dresser duals.....monster ovals.......

I had my local shop install the cams and the map....I got lot of valve train noise and not much oomph down low...was pretty disapointed.....when I rolled on the throttle it would give me a single ping and then not really get moving until around 3500 rpm.......

I took it in for a dyno tune by a reputable tuner in my area......this quietened down the valve train noise a little...but it still had no oomph down low.....the tuner commented that it would probably make a better cam for a lighter bike...that the Ultra Limited needed torque to get going and this cam just didn't have it down low enough where most folks ride.....

I kept it in for about 500 miles of summer riding in South Georgia and noticed the bike tended to not like stop and go traffic at all with these cams the bike felt hot and the valve train was noisy as all get out....the stock bike with the cat in the header pipe behaved better......after 500 miles of just not being very happy I bit the bullet and ordered the SE 255 cams.....

I had them installed and dyno'd and lo and behold...it's night and day....the Ultra pulls like a freight train now from below 2k......the valve train noise is significantly less and it doesn't seem to get nearly as hot in traffic......when I rolled on the throttle with the TW6-6's it would make noise and feel like it was dragging...not with the 255s.....hold on baby she's moving.....

funny...the peak torque numbers of both cams are nearly identical...peak hp the Woods has a 3 hp advantage....but they are night and day due to where the torque comes in......

I highly recommend the SE 255s........

thought some might be interested in the experience of someone with the same bike with identical mods running the two different cams tuned by the same tuner.........

Great Read. Great Info!... This is the reason I am holding back on cams. So many choices and combo's.. This Helps. Thanks!

Smoke, I didn't go through everything that you did, but I do have the 255's in my 2010 Limited. I went for torque, because about 95% of my riding is two up. I went with the Fuelmoto head pipe and CVO mufflers with Fullsac baffles. Great low end.

I was in the same vote as you, I'm going with an Andrews 54G however in my FLHTK. My second choice was the SE255 cams.

How do they behave at top end? Do you lose any power up high, or does it at least stay the same as the stock cam? I was also wondering how much labor HD had for the install. I've been leaning towards the same cam. I already have the V&H Power Duels and Monster Ovals with the PC-V from Fuel Moto.

How do they behave at top end? Do you lose any power up high, or does it at least stay the same as the stock cam? I was also wondering how much labor HD had for the install. I've been leaning towards the same cam. I already have the V&H Power Duels and Monster Ovals with the PC-V from Fuel Moto.

They seem to start pulling very well at about 1800 and have a strong rush all the way through to about 4500. The bike does pull well all the way through to redline, but from about 4500-5500 redline it isn't quite as "hard" of a pull. I had the cams installed before delivery as the dealer where I got the bike gives you 10% off any accesories installed and 20% off anything they don't have to install. I had my exhaust (2 into 1 V&H Propipe HO), V&H VO2 freeflow aircleaner, PC V, and cams all done when I picked it up(FREE labor). I think the 103" with these mods is an outstanding performer.

Back