free website stats program My bike trip.. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My bike trip..

ryd, I read your post yesterday and it made my blood boil. I almost posted to the forum then, but I think I would have received a short vacation. After thinking about it and reading the additional posts to your “vent”, I’ll give you my humble opinion. As you are from Florida, I’m certain you know what a Florida State Trooper looks like. As you were in a rest area, I can only “assume” you were travelling via the interstate (state police jurisdiction). Since this “BOZO” stated: “You need to turn that around, because flawrida law enforcement wants to see your tags”, I’d bet money he wasn’t in law enforcement at all, just a wannabee. I don’t know what the law in Florida is regarding parking in a rest area, but again, I’d bet money there is no law that stipulates which direction one must park. I can tell you this much, if a police officer wants to look at the tags of a parked vehicle, motorcycle or car, it ain’t a whole lot of trouble to get out of his vehicle and go look. The fact that you didn’t respond to his rude remark is commendable and probably the best thing you could have done under the circumstances. As a retired police officer, my inclination would have been to tell him to “pack sand” and call his bluff, but you did it the right way. If you take that trip again, give me a holler when you are passing through Richmond and I’ll have a frosty with ya!

An lot of the rest stops in Florida have armed security. That is what you ran into...not a cop at all. By the way, I've been a cop for 19yrs in Florida..there is no statutory prohibition concerning backing your motorcycle into a parking spot.

FYI, It is now legal to mount a veritical tag on your bike as well. ..so long as you have an active epass account with the transponder visible on your bike. There's a lot of wannabe's out there. I ran into one on 75 just south of Perry Florida. Saw my ankle holster and started questioning me about it, asked to see my identification. I played along and then cautioned him about a security guard getting too aggressive.

Back