free website stats program My bike stops for no reason | Harley Davidson Forums

My bike stops for no reason

mdrichards

I have a 2007 Heritage Softail Classic. Around 1600 miles. It's been to the local Harley Dealer 5 times for just shutting down. I have read where others have the same issue. It can two hundred miles fine and the next day not go three. Driving along at operating speed, bike just quits. Have full electrical power. The engine just shuts down. I have to pull off the road, turn everything off and then it will almost every time start right away. The dealership, of course, cannot replicate it. They have replaced the ECM, tightened this and that, but it still happens. At this point they act like I am crying wolf. The other service on it has been done there. Only additions, Vance and Hines pipes with chip and Screaming Eagle air filter system. The problem began before the pipes were added. I will say it never happened until after the recall I received for battery wires. Waited 10 years to buy this bike and not really enjoying it the way I should. Open to any and all ideas.

hubby had a 05 Fatboy in the shop last week that had a broken + positive battery cable, the wire was broke right where it makes the first bend after leaving the battery. Outer cover was fine, just wire broke.

I would also check the power wire to the ignition switch..I have seen several bikes where the terminal clip not holding into the connector and allowing the wire to move away from the switches terminal causing a erratic total loss of power....

Back