free website stats program My back cylinder just quit working!!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

My back cylinder just quit working!!!

I don't have a service manual for a 1999 but isn't 43 psi low? My guess would be closer to 60 PSI. I can dig out the correct spec but what does your manual say it should be. Sounds low to me.

From the h/d 99' FLT manual, pg. 9-46 line#11; Open throttle and rev the engine. Note the reading of the fuel pressure gauge. Fuel pressure should remainsteady at 40-47 psi (280-325Kpa).

I thought that too Hoople, but when I dead headed the system, it ran the same so I don't think it is pressure related. I pulled the intake off & there is no vacuum line from the regulator to the intake & I see no place for one to be. On most regulators that I work with, the lack of vacuum should raise fuel pressure since they are supplied by manifold vacuum. Guess on the M&M system they don't need it or want it. Thanks Ultra...Good for the info. I hope this id s helping JKjunkie, did they get yours fixed yet? JK, do you 4 wheel? Here is a pic of mine when I wheeled, sold it when I got my Harley.

XJonpenrose2.jpg

Toby

From the h/d 99' FLT manual, pg. 9-46 line#11; Open throttle and rev the engine. Note the reading of the fuel pressure gauge. Fuel pressure should remainsteady at 40-47 psi (280-325Kpa).

Thanks, that is good to know. I would have thought it would have been higher.

Not to be selfish, but I am paying real close attention to this thread in particular because I have a 99 with the m&m EFI and one day in the near future, it will be my turn in the "barrel."
Also, this makes for such good conversation. Funny how the love for a motorcycle can bring so many people together.............

my 2006 ultra did the same thing I was letting it warm up and it died.Itryed to restart and it did not sound right so i pulled the plugs and they looked fine so I checked the compression and had none on the rear cylinder.After further inspection found a broken valve spring.Let us know when you locate the problem .
Mark

I'm getting lost in all of this complexity. Do the easy stuff first, pull the plug. If it's dry, fuel problem, if it's wet, spark problem. My son's Yamaha had a dead cylinder this spring, could have gotten all carried away but pulled the plug and it was damp. Cranked the engine with the plug out and no spark. Stuck an old plug in the spark plug cap and cranked again, good spark. The installed plug died over the winter, never heard of this before, but installed an old but serviceable plug and away it goes, both cylinders firing again. 1 ratchet handle, one spark plug socket and 10 minutes. Injector ticking, compression test, fuel pressure rest all good checks AFTER the easy stuff. Good luck.

Sorry guys for not responding sooner. The issue with my bike was a broken wire to the injector. Fixed the wire and now she runs smooth as...well...a Harley!:newsmile01: Thanks for all the help you guy have given, it was nice to know where to start looking.

Thank you for the followup post, nice to know you got the problem sorted...enjoy the ride...even on that "smoother" running Harley...no hiccups allowed to spoil the fun! :)

Since last week I have been sick, working late & worked on a friends car, so I have not got out on the bike until this afternoon. Good news is it was a bad fuel injector, bad news is I bought a cam sensor, cam chest gasket, throttle & clutch cables plus found a crack on my exhaust. But I am on the down hill side. I put the good injector that I put in last year to the rear cyl & put the good injector that I pulled out last year to install the new injectors & put that one in the front. Starts & idles great, snap the throttle & it revs up great, now to get it back together. Will it ever end so I can just ride?

Toby

Sorry guys for not responding sooner. The issue with my bike was a broken wire to the injector. Fixed the wire and now she runs smooth as...well...a Harley!:newsmile01: Thanks for all the help you guy have given, it was nice to know where to start looking.

Glad you found the problem. How did you find the broken wire?

Back