free website stats program My back cylinder just quit working!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

My back cylinder just quit working!!!

JKJunkie

Hey guys,
I started my bike (2000 Ultra) this morning to let it warm up before I took off to work. Everything was just fine and then it died. When I tried to start it again it would not stay running by itself, I would have to keep giving it a little gas...but it sounded different. After messing with it for awhile and reving it a little I felt the exhaust pipes...I have true duals on it. The front one was HOT and the back one was cold.......:shock. Do you guys have any ideas where to start looking? Thanks in advance!
Chris

Using a spare spark plug, check for spark. Make the gap on the test plug a solid .035". I believe your ignition is dual fire so you will have "wasted spark" firing. Is your bike injected?

Yes sir, it is injected. I will give that a try when I get home. That should tell me if it's fuel or electrical correct?

Check the plug. Try starting the bike then remove the plug see if is wet, probably not firing. If it's dry try a compression test the head gasket ould have blown.

That should tell me if it's fuel or electrical correct?

Check the plug to see if it is wet as 01rk suggested. If it is dry, it's probably a stuck or clogged injector. If it is wet, probably a secondary spark issue. It's probably not a primary issue since your dual fire (guessing no cam sensor). May want to check for any codes just for fun.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try these as soon as I get home today! I hope it's something simple since it's starting to get nice out!!!

I had that happen on my 01 Ultra a few years ago. It turned out to be a bad spark plug wire. Guess it was a combination of heat, vibration, and age. Of course, I replaced both of them... :)

The key is not to presume fault unless you have at least 2 symptoms pointing you in the right direction. You do NOT want to be led down a merry path to nowhere...if you think cylinder is not firing once you determine condition of the spark plug per the previous posters, do a 2nd test, either check the compression or ohmout the wiring depending on the path you choose. Perform an visual inspection besides, for forensic evidence...your CSI journey has begun...:s

Check the plug to see if it is wet as 01rk suggested. If it is dry, it's probably a stuck or clogged injector. If it is wet, probably a secondary spark issue. It's probably not a primary issue since your dual fire (guessing no cam sensor). May want to check for any codes just for fun.

My 2000 FXDS had Both, a cam sensor, along with the crank sensor...

I'm betting if dry cyl , it is a spark problem and could even be the sensor...
I had to replace one in my 2000, but "Spark Plug Wires" were the first NEEDED thing. Hey that bike is 11 models old..... If you have NEVER replace the wires, the pretty SE orange (any color) ones offered by HD, are at a reasonable cost and good...

signed....BUBBIE

Back