free website stats program My '88 Sportster 883 Standard Project Thread. | Harley Davidson Forums

My '88 Sportster 883 Standard Project Thread.

So I guess I will go ahead and post the picture of my Sportster project here in the Sportster section. As I said in my new member thread this project has been a long time coming and the bike itself hasn't been licensed or started since around 1992. My Dad gave me this bike years back in hopes that one day I would fix it up, and last weekend we pulled the first nuts and bolts off it.

Here's where we're at so far:

003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see we have everything stripped down to the motor/tranny block. Took about a day, and after all was said and done we ordered a repair manual, haha.

004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's a close up of the final drive/right side of the engine block to show the extent of the corrosion damage. Trust me, the primary side is just as bad :(

005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a picture of some of the part's scattered about on the work bench, which will also give you an idea of how rough a shape she's in. Drag pipes and original shocks on the right, calipers and drive covers on the left.

006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And finally, the front ends, rear fender, and original tank. The front end on the top is the original stock front end that was pulled off the bike a year or two after purchase (in around 1991), and the front end on the bottom is the wide glide that replaced it.

As you can see pretty much everything on this project needs some good TLC and quite a bit of time and money, but I have a vision for this thing, and I know it's going to look amazing when all said and done.

Thanks for reading! (Keep an eye out for updates. They will be coming in the following weeks and months!)

-TimTheMachinist

It looks like you will be busy for a wee while with that project but in the end you will know every nut bolt and washer personally
I will be following this thread till the project is completed

Brian

You definitely have your work cut out for you...... Wishing you the best.:s

We will all be following and there are many here that can help with all the things that happen when you're restoring a bike. As Fin said you will know all the parts and how they should work. Take your time and make your dream come true. Lots of updates and pix.

A labor of love, it is good you are using pictures before this will give you a reference point and make for great conversation when you are done. Good Luck:s

Wow! Mine's still in one piece, although it's going to have to be completly disassembled.

Thanks everyone. Glad you're interested in my build! I work full time in a machine shop so it's going to be strictly weekend and holiday work, but more than likely we'll be working on it every chance we get.

It's probably going to be a good amount of time between updates but I'll be sure to take pictures once we make major breakthroughs.

It'll all be worth it in the end :)

-TimTheMachinist

Back