free website stats program My 2008 FLHT won't start... | Harley Davidson Forums

My 2008 FLHT won't start...

FLHXSrider

Contributor
Hi,

The last time I rode everything was good. Today I went to ride and when I tried to start my bike, it wouldn't turn over. The kill switch was in the run position. The stereo comes on, the check engine light comes on and off, the fuel pump primes and the lights come on. When I hit the start switch, I can hear a faint click, which maybe is the starter relay, I'm not sure. The continuity checks ok on the relay but I haven't checked it by testing it on the battery yet. I did notice that the voltage on the gauge was only about 10V. Seeing as my bike is 7 years old, I decided the battery had finally seen the end (low amperage). I went out and got a new one from Napa (luckily it happened to be on sale). It came pre-charged and ready to go.

When I put the new battery in, same thing. I didn't have a multimeter with me so I foolishly tried shorting out the maxi-fuse (why not just look at it? Only my brain knows) and it started for me. It ran fine for about a minute before I killed it. I tried to start it again without shorting out the maxi-fuse and nothing again. I tried shorting the maxi-fuse and still nothing. I finally went home and grabbed my Service Manual which sadly didn't give me many more ideas. I also found my Hanes manual which was a bit better but I haven't got a solution yet.

Anyone have any ideas? We're having a brief stretch of decent weather here and I'm dying to ride while I'm on my days off. It's rare I can still ride in November. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

FLHTrider08

I wonder if this is a continuation of previous problems with bike. Can you clarify as to what your definition of shorting out maxi fuse would be. It may just be that maxi fuse is bad and needs replaced....

Corroded starter switch?

I would take the MM and see if you are getting the consistent power down to the starter first. If so, could be the starter. Take a ball pin hard plastic hammer or a hard rubber mallet and tap the starter while you are holding the start button. Could be brush dust keeping the brushes from contact on the rotor.

dbmg I took a pair of needle nose pliers to the outside contacts of the maxi-fuse (on the top). I'm hoping it's not a continuation of my old problem, I've put about 11,000Km or 6,800mi on it without a problem since I got it back.

Thanks,

FLHTrider08

gonitro,

Interesting thought about the hammer. I'll definitely try that. If it works, does that mean it's time to rebuild the starter. I'm going to do some more tests with the MM today.

Thanks,

FLHTrider08

Are the lights dimming down when trying to start, If so that means power is getting to starter and what gotnitro has recommended might work. Have you pulled the maxi fuse to see if you may have a blown fuse?

With the ignition off jump across the starter solenoid does it turn over good? If it does your problem is up stream

After some messing around, I replaced the Starter Relay (part#31579-04). The dealer said the part had been replaced by part#31586-07. It's a smaller relay, maybe 1/2 or 2/3 the vertical size off the old one. When I first put it in it didn't work. I was not happy. I started testing some other connections in the wiring harness under the fairing and after I plugged the harness back in it started up normally. I let it run for about a minute. I turned it off and back on. When I tried to start it, it took a little long and usual of holding the starter button before it started. It was a bit rough but did start. It has started faithfully ever since. The intermittent starting problem might be a sign of bigger problems later I'm not sure.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

FLHTrider08

After some messing around, I replaced the Starter Relay (part#31579-04). The dealer said the part had been replaced by part#31586-07. It's a smaller relay, maybe 1/2 or 2/3 the vertical size off the old one. When I first put it in it didn't work. I was not happy. I started testing some other connections in the wiring harness under the fairing and after I plugged the harness back in it started up normally. I let it run for about a minute. I turned it off and back on. When I tried to start it, it took a little long and usual of holding the starter button before it started. It was a bit rough but did start. It has started faithfully ever since. The intermittent starting problem might be a sign of bigger problems later I'm not sure.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

FLHTrider08

Glad it was a simple fix for you. These bikes when started cold and shut off the mixture is a bit richer on cold start up so naturally on second start up running rough would be normal.:s

Back