free website stats program My 2001 Fatty Something Ain't Right! | Harley Davidson Forums

My 2001 Fatty Something Ain't Right!

Kansasjase

It just started today on my way home from work. After I started her up, she seemed to run a little rough. As I started down the road, she would start to cough and sputter when I try to accelerate and even backfire from time to time. It's running rough but really started to miss and cough when I throttle up.

Dunno wear to start looking???

Did you just fill up with gas? (Bad gas?) Is bike carburated? Plugs fouled? Plug wires secure on plugs? Fuel filter/screen clogged? A few ideas...

I guess I could fill in a few blanks... posted in a hurry cuz I was a bit aggravated. I filled up gas last night... they didn't have any of the highest octane (which I usually get) so I got the cheaper. The air filter is a bit dirty... slightly greasy in fact... dunno about the fuel filter, not sure how to check it. The spark plug wires are on secure. I haven't pulled the plugs yet to check.

I'm fairly new to bikes... especially the Hog so I'm sorry I can't give more accurate details.

Simple problem would be just picked up bad gas or picked up debris from the service station and is now obstructing you inlet filter...may want to access and pull EFI relay, fire up motor till fuel pressure is zero and engine dies...shutdown, pull main fuse and drain the tank. Use that fuel for your lawn mower. Check or pull fuel filter and clean...once all back together put fresh fuel in from your "regular place" hopefully one that gets fresh gas and is busy. Good luck, but you should be fine.

Simple problem would be just picked up bad gas or picked up debris from the service station and is now obstructing you inlet filter...may want to access and pull EFI relay, fire up motor till fuel pressure is zero and engine dies...shutdown, pull main fuse and drain the tank. Use that fuel for your lawn mower. Check or pull fuel filter and clean...once all back together put fresh fuel in from your "regular place" hopefully one that gets fresh gas and is busy. Good luck, but you should be fine.

Cant go wrong with this advice, lots `of bad gas out there

Thanks for the advice guys. Work keeps getting in the way so I haven't had the chance to dig in yet... But tomorrow after work gonna drain the gas and put some good stuff in it and take it from there.

Back