free website stats program My 1st all GPS road trip | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My 1st all GPS road trip

I just fail to understand why units "designed for & by Bikers" cost in excess of $700 + install and brackets when we can go to Costco and for $150 by one made for cars. Yes, these units will work too granted not waterproof... But it would be so cool to have a sharp looking unit with Harley Davidson written on the front. If their pricing made any sense & would come down.. I am sure like in cars they would also come pretty much as a standard option.

In Montreal the HD unit or even if I buy the Garmin unit. After install & some parts.. its $1000.- OUCH

That depends on what you want to get out of your GPS. Garmin has the basic model that speaks the street names, does FM traffic and is waterproof for $400. Now if you want to add XM radio, XM weather, XM traffic, and Bluetooth then the unit jumps to $800. I do agree that HD is ripping everyone off putting a $200 markup on the unit just because it says Harley Davidson on it. Then they are charging an additional $80 for a mount that is included if you buy the standard Garmin without the logo.

Also whats upsetting for anyone who invests $600 to $800 on these units.. Garmin comes out with a new model at most every few months. Its unbelievable.. you spend $800 and then two months later same unit sells for $575 on sale.. Really bugs me.
Through HD is just so "clean".. no wires etc.. Just cant bear to let such a huge amount of $ go.

I'm a mapper. I have drawers of them, books of them. Maps or Atlas' are within arms reach of most places that I sit in the house. I enjoy planning trips. I have favorite roads, but I try to use every alternative road possible on my motorcycle rides. I have had my GPS for over a year and have used it as an aid on trips, nothing more.
I visited my brother in SC last weekend. I've been there several times, but always in the cage, so Interstate highways were the route. This time I put his address in my Garmin and selected "fastest route" with highway avoidance enabled and took off. I put all my trust in the GPS No map for back up. It was a cloudy day and by the time I was 50 miles from home, I had no idea where I was going, but I did what the screen showed. I made it to his house in the time it said I would, and the miles it estimated was spot on (311 on my odo./306 on the gps, about the same % difference as mph discrepancy between the speedo/gps). The GPS took me down roads I never would have picked on a map, if they even showed on a map. Several times I had to stop and use the zoom to reassure myself that I was ok. On the way home, I selected "shortest distance" and it took me on a totally different route (still good).
I think I'll still use maps so I get the "warm fuzzy" feeling of knowing where I am, but the gps will be on standby.

LOL I am exactly the opposite.

I hate maps and I am VERY BAD with directions. I just pop where I am going into the GPS and OFF I go.

I am always verring off the route since there will be something of interest inevitably I would want to see. You idea of DISabling the highway feature is a GOOD idea. I gutta try it.

When I cross the USA, I oten will go to the HD web site, launch RIDE PLANNER thing <-- it is FANTASTIC!!!! And it downloads right to my HD Garmin Zumo 550. Works extremely well.

I ride in ALL weather even when the clouds are thick and raining......THIS GPS picks up the staelite signals as if it was a cloudless day.

BuzzCap7

LOL I am exactly the opposite.

I hate maps and I am VERY BAD with directions. I just pop where I am going into the GPS and OFF I go.
... ... ... ...

Yea me too, especially since they've changed and rebuilt everything since I knew it years ago. I was 20 mins late for a big ride the other day all because I read the road sign wrong. I was really getting upset but I finally did make it to the ride though.

I would love to put GPS on the bike, we have it in the car now for years, it's a life saver as long as I download new maps every now and again.

Guess for the bike I'm gonna go with one of the cheaper self enclosed battery units.

Back