free website stats program My 1985 FXR Custom. | Harley Davidson Forums

My 1985 FXR Custom.

owled

Hello,

I'm new to motorcycles, I used to race motocross but always wanted a Harley and now I have one. I just bought a 1985 FXR two days ago, it seems like it's in perfect running condition or atleast I thought so. Here are some "minor" problems I found with it while riding it after I took it home that the previous owner did not mention to me.

-Speedometer isn't working.

-Oil Light is on/Leaking oil on to the engine/belt.

-Front Right turn signal does not stay in place/work. The back one does however.

-Grips slip while being held.

-Peg rubber needs to be replaced.

But the main ones I need to be fixed are the first three, so I was wondering how I go about it? If you could help me step by step that would be greatly appreciated and if there are any other suggestions that I might need, please feel free to tell me. Thank you.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can, I think there is a post limit before you can?

Thank you,

Hello,

I'm new to motorcycles, I used to race motocross but always wanted a Harley and now I have one. I just bought a 1985 FXR two days ago, it seems like it's in perfect running condition or atleast I thought so. Here are some "minor" problems I found with it while riding it after I took it home that the previous owner did not mention to me.

-Speedometer isn't working.

You'll find the inner cable is broken probably and needs replacing. There's a tiny screw on the drive down on the bottom facing downwards if you have to separate the housing from it.

-Oil Light is on/Leaking oil on to the engine/belt.

You need to address this right away if it is either a sending unit, wiring or a problem with the oil pump. A manual pressure guage hooked up will tell the story here.

-Front Right turn signal does not stay in place/work. The back one does however.

Possibly a bulb out or a problem with the wiring. Try replacing the bulb first.

-Grips slip while being held.

Get some grip glue from a HD dealer, it's the best way to go here and you may have to open up the switch housing to remove it to re glue it.

-Peg rubber needs to be replaced.

But the main ones I need to be fixed are the first three, so I was wondering how I go about it? If you could help me step by step that would be greatly appreciated and if there are any other suggestions that I might need, please feel free to tell me. Thank you.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can, I think there is a post limit before you can?

Thank you,

Hope this info helps you out.

You'll find the inner cable is broken probably and needs replacing. There's a tiny screw on the drive down on the bottom facing downwards if you have to separate the housing from it.

So what is the cable called that I would be looking for?

"You need to address this right away if it is either a sending unit, wiring or a problem with the oil pump. A manual pressure guage hooked up will tell the story here."

So how will I check for this? And how will I know what to look for? Also, what would I need to replace whatever is wrong?

Also, where is it that I fill the oil? I can't seem to find it/know what I'm looking for. Also is there an online manual I'd be able to look at?

Thank you so much!

If you find that the inner speedo cable is broken, try to find a universal repl. cable at a auto supply. I've had good luck with them and they are only a few $. Cut to fit.

So what is the cable called that I would be looking for?

That would be an inner speedometer drive cable for your model. You may have to buy inner and outer to get it.

"You need to address this right away if it is either a sending unit, wiring or a problem with the oil pump. A manual pressure gauge hooked up will tell the story here."

So how will I check for this? And how will I know what to look for? Also, what would I need to replace whatever is wrong?

As mentioned above, a manual pressure gauge just to check if it is the pump, sending unit or wiring. Once you know you have pressure you go from there.

Also, where is it that I fill the oil? I can't seem to find it/know what I'm looking for. Also is there an online manual I'd be able to look at?

The oil tank is under the seat, it's the black wedge shaped thing. Remove the seat and you will find how to fill it. The drain comes out the bottom of the tank in a hose that is clamped on to a stub under the bottom of the bike. Look for it and you'll see it.
I would get the HD manual from the dealer before you make an expensive mistake working on the bike.

Thank you so much!

Hope this helps.

So the pressure gauge is at 10psi while idling, and at 10psi while riding. Any ideas to what may be the matter with it? I'm taking it into Cycle Boyz some time soon. But I would still like to get an idea at what I am looking at.

Thank you.

Thank you,

That's what I have been told by all the bikers I know, that the FXR is a great choice for beginners and can be easily modified.

There are a few issues that I have seemed to looked over and didn't see. But now that I have it at home I found them and started to work on them so hopefully I can go for longer rides before the season is over.

I'm going to bring it to Cycle Boys and have them look over the bike, and to do a compression test as well.

I'll post some as soon as I can! Along with any mods I make in the future.

I bought an '87 FXLR 2 years ago. First week, the speedo made a loud scream and died. My dealer said Harley could no longer supply a speedo, but he found me one in the Drag Specialties fatbook. It was $59.00 and easy to replace. If you disconnect the drive cable from the back of the speedo, and ride the bike, the inner cable should be turning when the bike is moving. If it is, like mine was, you may need a new speedo.

Back