free website stats program MY 18 Deluxe - Fuel Tank Breather | Harley Davidson Forums

MY 18 Deluxe - Fuel Tank Breather

J

justcruising

Found a rigid black plastic breather pipe virtually worn through from the top of the belt dive on my new 2017 Deluxe MY18. Was an ex display bike with only 165km, so officially a used bike with my purchase. HD Tech advises it is the fuel tank breather. Very odd for it to terminate right between the belt drive, let alone free floating. Had to cut the damaged 2’’ off and fit an extension with some rubber fuel pipe which fitted tightly over the breather, then clamped the extension tautly with an insulated hose clamp at the rear of the sump. One to look out for new owners ... if HD isn’t on to it already.

Sounds like a recall in waiting......Not the first time I've heard sump problems out there,is this the fix to that?

Not a sump problem, but a poorly fitted fuel tank breather. Could potentially drain onto the drive belt if the tank is overfilled imo. Going to monitor my fix for a while, but here’s hoping it’s that simple.

Why are you fixing what should be a shop warranty problem? I have very little confidence in dealer fixes, and would probably do the same as you, but am just curious.

Used bike, officially sold with no statutory warranty. But also can’t be bothered riding 3hrs all up back to selling dealer for such a simple fix. For the record, have emailed them photos & discussed with HD tech (who’s happy with my fix) & have mutually agreed they can inspect it at first service 1600km (1000mi). After the first service, expect to rely more on the local HD dealer 10 min away.

Deviating off the subject of this thread, but for the curious: HD Australia buy new MY models as display/demo bikes and when they’re finished with them, dealers can purchase them & sell them off as used bikes. As a used bikes the dealer doesn’t have to include the standard new bike statutory warranty, although I expect they’ll honor warranty claims at their discretion (grey area ... to be tested). HD product/safety recalls excluded.
Don’t know how widespread this practice is and weather you see this elsewhere, but it exists here.
Of course, a purchaser can choose not to buy a display/demo bike on these terms and choose to buy a new bike at a substantially higher price and you could probably negotiate to again include the statutory warranty (for a price i’m sure). It is but a risk Vs reward negotiation by both parties at the end-of-the-day.

Never heard of such a thing. I for 1 would never buy a new/display/demo Harley that did not offer the remainder of the factory warranty.

Things down under must work a little differently then in the states.
Hope you enjoy your new scoot mate.

Back