free website stats program My 103 rebuild is done and runs great | Harley Davidson Forums

My 103 rebuild is done and runs great

CalgaryBikeBum

Well after the mess with the piston rings things went together pretty smoothly. Put engine back in bike put tank on and fuel in and she fired on first touch of button and ran smoothly. Took her out after warming it up and did ring seating routines. She outruns my friends 96 without barely touching throttle. He's amazed and now wants to redo his engine next winter. HAHAHA

A special thanks to TQ and Chopper for their help. TQ I really love this Andrews 21 cam already. It is perfect for the kind of riding I do/will do. Chopper was right. Building the engine is "Almost" as good as riding it. Once my Daytona Tec ignition gets here I will tune her in and finish break in and should be a great summer. :D :D :D (Oh and I know what they mean about the Grin Factor now. )

Congrats. I have a factory 103" and love it, I just need to add the cams to complete the picture. What exhaust are you running on your rebuild? Let the group know if you run it on a dyno.

Well after the mess with the piston rings things went together pretty smoothly. Put engine back in bike put tank on and fuel in and she fired on first touch of button and ran smoothly. Took her out after warming it up and did ring seating routines. She outruns my friends 96 without barely touching throttle. He's amazed and now wants to redo his engine next winter. HAHAHA

A special thanks to TQ and Chopper for their help. TQ I really love this Andrews 21 cam already. It is perfect for the kind of riding I do/will do. Chopper was right. Building the engine is "Almost" as good as riding it. Once my Daytona Tec ignition gets here I will tune her in and finish break in and should be a great summer. :D :D :D (Oh and I know what they mean about the Grin Factor now. )

I followed your problems and solves here and I am really HAPPY for your satisfaction on that build.. The problem I have with this POST from you, is the ITCH i get to change out MY bike.. Not Yet tho. 09 FLHR but those CAMS HMmmm

signed....BUBBIE

Guess I should have said what i did huh? LOL I have Vance and Hines slip on ovals (sound very different with new build) I replaced everything pretty much from the bottom cases up. New SE stroker crank , mine already had Timken bearings setup so bought tool for endplay checking and set it up obviously with new bearings. Have SE cylinder studs. New Andrews Tw21 cams as I put the SE hybrid hydraulic camplate upgrade in too. New cam chains as well. Use my old adjustable push rods as my new tapered ones hadn't come yet. I did trim front exhaust pushrod tube slightly so there's less chance of rubbing. SE. Stroker pistons .010 + oversized so technically she's a 104 now. Got an incredible deal on set of take off heads from a 2005. They had 100 miles on them for a $100 for pair. and they had beehive springs. Used Cometec gasket set. 3Bond to reseal cases. SE 44mm intake and 44mm carb which i modified to work with my cruise. (Works perfect). A Daytona ignition went it gets here and bought to tuning cable so I can plug laptop in and play. I already have a Baker DD6 . I bought all my tools from Georges Garage and they are awesome tools. And his advice and service are great as well. Best part when you phone his business he answers . " George's Garage......George speaking !!" Gotta like that. Can you tell I'm pumped up. HAHAHAHAHA :D

Congrats on your success! You do really seem all pumped up. It is a great sense of accomplishment taking on a big project like this and getting it done successfully. Mulligans don't count in the score!!

TQ

Very Cool! Your a fast wrench:) If you ever get state side make sure you stop by and I'll buy you a cold one. And Congrats!

Actually Chop my two buddie passed right by there on their way to Laughlin run. Of course I couldn't go cause my bike was down. But I"m raring to go now. We are headed down to Oregon / North Calf. and may be passing that way. If so we will stop by your shop and I'll buy a couple of colds ones for all the great advice. Thanks again.

Congrats on your success! You do really seem all pumped up. It is a great sense of accomplishment taking on a big project like this and getting it done successfully. Mulligans don't count in the score!!

TQ
Yeah I"m pumped and the extra power that seems to be ready to go don't hurt either. Thanks for help

Last edited by a moderator:
Back