free website stats program My 09 UC review | Harley Davidson Forums

My 09 UC review

09ultra

Banned
Well, after all the delays, I finally got my 2009 Black Pearl UC today. Please remember I am coming off a 2005 Deluxe which I loved. I have to say I am impressed. I drove 120 miles home from the dealer and felt like I drove 20 miles. The bike handled perfectly and it was very comfortable for me. I know some have said the stock seat was a problem, but for me it is fine. It gives me support in my lower back and I felt no discomfort after a 100 mile plus trip. I did stop after 70 miles for about 1 minute. I stopped at a rest area just to try the ABS. I wanted to get off the main road in case I became roadkill! The ABS worked well, both front and rear and these should be mandatory on every bike made in my opinion. Stopped very quick and surprisingly easy. Still need to get used to them to gain complete trust, but I am sold. Like I said I came of a Deluxe, but this ride is very solid and comfortable in comparison to that bike. Since I did not have a touring bike prior, I can't compare to a earlier model touring, but I should have done this a long time ago. The noise I hear in 5th gear is so minimal I need to actually listen for it. I guess after reading all the hype, I was expecting something much worse. If this is it, then I don't care as it is hardly noticeable. The heat was noticeable but I opened the vents on the lower fairing and it pretty much eliminated it. It was a high of 90 degrees today, probably 85 degrees or so most of the trip home. 6th gear seemed most comfy at 70 - 75 MPH and up. It is a nice option. The torque was quite a bit less than on Deluxe with it's 95", but I was expecting that. I did notice that when I take off in 1st gear, I need to have the RPM up a bit or it wants to sputter. This does concern me as I am not sure this is normal?? The 96" seems to be the most noticeable a higher speeds. Pulls really nice around 60 MPH and up. Of course, since it had only 4 miles on it when I left, I never exceeded 80 MPH and was for a very limited time. Mostly varied from 60 - 70 MPH on the way home while on the freeway. I love the looks of the rear end with the 180 rear tire! It handled very well and I noticed no problem at all with it. Suspension is night and day coming off my Softail. Stereo is very good IMO. No problem hearing it at 65MPH at 3/4 volume, can hear both front and rear. Of course it would not be sufficient for you youngsters but then what is! Limited time using cruise but I can tell that can become addictive. Well thats enough, will post pictures soon. All I can say is I love this bike in the very short time I have owned it. Time will tell but for now it gets an A+ and I have a smile that may become permanent. I am a happy camper. :D

Great Post..Thanks for sharing..now wipe that smile off your face....lol kidding...Oh Yeah ! BTW am jealous! :D

Nice choice. I also bought a 09 Ultra and just love the thing. Had it 2 weeks now and have over 1200 miles on it. Most of it put on the first week. Enjoy, it is really plesant to ride.:)

Thanks for the review. I am considering a 09 as I like the new changes and I am gonna get the motor company to trade mine for a 09.:D

UPDATE:
Took the wife for tha maiden voyage ride tonight. She LOVES it. I have to report a negative..... The heat off the engine is very noticeable. I asked my wife if she felt it and she said no. As a passenger it has been taken care of. I told her to put her hand on my thigh and she felt the heat on my jeans. It is very noticeable. It was around 93 degrees and I was not at highway speeds all the time. If these models are an improvement over the prior models when it comes to heat, then they must have been VERY hot. When I drove it home yesterday evening, I was at highway speeds all the way and it was not bad, but around town this is a problem. I have read that after break in it gets better, I hope so. I will add synthetic oil when the mileage allows and even an oil cooler if needed. Other than this, it is a GREAT ride. Hopefully this is something that with break in and synthetic oil will soon pass. More to come as I learn!

The heat of the 07-09 bikes isn't an issue as long as you are moving but in slow traffic or stop and go it can get pretty intense. It doesn't get much better as the miles add up either.

Glider,
What about synthetic oils, oil coolers or the fan that blows across the cylnders? Do these help? Any releif at all with break in complete?

Synthetic oil at any time is OK as we spoke about, the fans.....save your money, they don't last too long.

Oil cooler is a good investment if you ride in a hot area.

Hello Mr. Ultra...OH-Nine.....

Are you going to change out the pipes or just leave theme stock for now. I have had three Roadkings and the Pipes were the first accessory to me. I don't like my HD real loud...just nice and mellow.....:)

Back