free website stats program My '08 FXDC wouldn't start today.. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My '08 FXDC wouldn't start today..

Listen for a swoosh sound, to see if the cap is venting, look under the swing arm seems to me the tank vents there, if it is not venting the fuel in the rail may act like a vapor lock

Tried to start bike today and it wouldn't start. Disconnected the fuel quick disconnect, re-connected it, and it fired up but immediately died. Disconnected the fuel line again and bike started right up and ran fine. Let it run a few minutes and loosened the gas cap. Could hear a slight swoosh ( or sucking sound). There is a vent line in front of the rear wheel. Guess I will begin checking for a venting problem. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Guess I will start with the vent under the console.

Not sure about your exact model but it should have a check valve in-line. It allows fumes to go one way only. Take it off the line and make sure it works properly. Also check the lines for bugs, nests etc.

Not sure about your exact model but it should have a check valve in-line. It allows fumes to go one way only. Take it off the line and make sure it works properly. Also check the lines for bugs, nests etc.

There is an in-line vent valve on the left side of the steering head. Going to see if I can blow compressed air though the vent line (below the valve) tomorrow and see if it is clear. The line above the in-line valve appears to be clear.

Locate quick-connect fitting on left side of fuel tank. (Below tank)
Pull up on chrome sleeve and pull down on fuel supply line fitting
to disconnect.
See Figure 4-4. (Attachment)

Sorry Tank! Can't beat a The Tank!! :)

Attachments

• Locate quick connect.doc
    192.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Open the tank cap then turn on the key,while looking in the tank.When the fuel pump is pressurizing do you see fuel spraying around in the tank?
If so you have a hole in the high pressure line.

WARNING

Be VERY careful on the removal and together of the GasTank Valve...

It BREAKS EASILY,,,,, No I didn't break mine but MANY others here on HDT said they have.

40$$$ down the tube.:(

signed....BUBBIE

Open the tank cap then turn on the key,while looking in the tank.When the fuel pump is pressurizing do you see fuel spraying around in the tank?

I will check this out tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip.

WARNING

Be VERY careful on the removal and together of the GasTank Valve...

It BREAKS EASILY,,,,, No I didn't break mine but MANY others here on HDT said they have.

40$$$ down the tube.:(

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the heads up. Will be very careful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tried this today, but didn't see any fuel spraying around in the tank. Guess this wasn't the problem, but thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Back