free website stats program Mustang Seats | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mustang Seats

My .02. The stock seat on my 06RKC was not comfortable, I bought a Sundowner and rode it for many happy miles. However, the stock seat on my 08 EGC has been great. It is comfortable for both me and my wife (have over 17k ont he bike), we finished an 2000 mile trip in August with no complaints. The quality is good too, IMO. I might not be as "fussy" as some guys, but the stitching is straight and holding, the leather is mainitaining its shape and color..what else is there? ride safe.
I think your the same guy who's looking for a docking kit to be able to remove the tour pac and ride 1 up, right?
Your right, the saddle on the Classic is a good seat, I got a couple of buddy's that wouldn't change em for the world, but they aren't the best looking saddle when ya remove the Tour Pac. If your gonna go solo take a look at the Corbin, along with all the others.
Word to the wise though........the Corbin will require a break in period. My friend bought a new Corbin before we left CA for the 100yr Harley Celebration in Milwaukee. We went to Corbin in Hollister to pick it up and have some adjustments made to it. When we got to Walnut Creek (about 50 miles) he said he was going to "Take it back next weekend". I told him he needed to break it in and give it a chance. 2 weeks later we left for the Party. We rode 500+ miles a day. The first day I asked him how the saddle was treating him and he said "well it's not too bad" after the 2nd day his comment was "I think I'm gettn used to it" after the 3rd day he said "I didn't think about it". I didn't ask him anymore until we left Milwaukee for home. When we got back to CA I asked him what he thought of the Corbin now and he said "I could be a Poster Child for Corbin!" and in fact we made a special trip down to Corbin so my buddy could thank Mike Corbin in person. Out here in CA there are a couple of really fine saddle makers, Danny Grey, Corbin (I think they're in Florida too), and la Prea. Point is, most guys wouldn't think twice about spending 3-4 hundred bucks on a Recliner, for those doing distance riding, take care of your bottom, after your arms and hands, it's the next thing that will make you know you ain't treating it right.

Im the same guy, bill. Rally like the looks with the tour pack off. Here's what I'm working on now..realizing my bike didn't look good with the tourpak off and the stock seat on, I started looking at Mustang/Corbin seats. All look good, but man are they expensive. Sitting in my garage last night, dinking around I remembered the old stock seat from my 06 road king and took it outta storage. I got to looking at it. The front saddle looks a lot like a solo Mustang seat..I wonder..... Took the stock seat off my 08 and tried to lay the road king seat on it..no go, the RK seat mounts differently and had a tab sticking out instead of a slot. debated brefily becasue what I was thinking about doing would ruin the seat, realized I couldn't sell a stock RK seat for much anyway, I plunged in. First, I broke the mounting tab off the front of the seat. Grabbing a razor knife and pliers, I first peeled the leather (vinyl!!) off the passenger portion of the seat, rolling it back all the way to the slot in the seat for the driver back rest. Using the razor knife, I then cut off the exposed foam. This left me with the composite seat pan exposed, not a big deal, used a cut off wheel and removed it quick. Once this was done, i cut off some of the excess vinyl, tucked it under the now mutilited seat and placed the seat on my bike. Much better, I could now visualize what else needed to be done. As my scoot uses a tab, I need to either cut a slot in the seat pan or mount some sort of bracket that the tab can insert into. Not a biggie, haven't done it yet, but should be simple. The seat fits nicely on the bike. Looking at the back of the seat, I should be able to pick up some chrome tabs/mounting strips fairly reasonably mount them to the seat pan on one end and onto the mounting screws that currently hold my drivers back rest.

Should all this work out good, I will take the seat to a local leather shop and have them sew on a patch at the back where I currently have all the pleather folded under. I'm hoping this will look good, it will save me around 300.00. what do you guys think, anyone ever done this before??

Last edited:
Mavagrand, it can't hurt to try it, I'm sure an upholster can make it look good and you can't beat the price! AND just think how much cooler you'll look riding around those speed bumps with you feet on the highway pegs! :lolrolling

Tom, gonna have to take it to an upholsterer but I'm thinking I can pull this off. Yea, with a solo seat I can lean WAAYY back and weave around looking super KEWL.!!!

OK. Here's where I'm at. I have the seat shaped into what I think will fit and look good on the bike. I bought a couple of those large barn door hinges that are 8" long, plan on using them as the seat brackets. One end of them mount perfectly onto the mounting screws on the front of the rear fender (these screws usually hold the mounting hardware for my drivers backrest). The rest of the hinge extends a substantial ways under the seat. I'm thinking I can secure them to the seat pan using nylon push screws. Already tested this and believe the nylon pins will be strong enough. My only question is how to install these where they won't scratch the paint under the seat and gonna have to ensure the hinges are not touching anything electrical under there...don't wanna short anything out. Anyway, I'm thinking these hinges will be strong enough that I won't need to secure the front of the seat at all AND the seat will be hinged and able to swing up if need be. What do ya'll think??

I think you should make something in the front, so it hooks into the front mount, if it were me, I wouldn't want any movement, eventhough it sound like a good idea to be able to flip it up, I would worry about it shifting at the wrong moment. on the back side of the hinges you can put stick on felt or rubber to keep it from rubbing. You don't want to take a corner and have it shift on you and throw off your balance, it could twist and scratch something too. As far as bolting it to the pan, you should be able to get short bolt that you can reach into and mount before you finish the upholster. Maybe if you had a short hinge in the front, where you can lift the seat up and put it down and insert the bar in the front, it would at least prevent it from shifting left to right while sitting on it. Know what I mean? :D

Update: Found a saddle shop in north lakealnd that will work on the seat for me. Talked with the guy, he recommended taking the extra vinyl from the back and making a "flap" that can be secured under the seat..said he can put a hidden pocket under the seat for my gun...kewl. skeptical on how it will look but he promised it will look good..gotta trust him..all the ranchers around here give the guy kudos. Will post a pix when I get it back.

Back