free website stats program Mustang Seat | Harley Davidson Forums

Mustang Seat

GroundHawg

Last week I installed a Mustang seat on my 08 FLSTC. I don't have many miles on it yet but so far I'm liking it! Love the riders backrest!

The first thing I noticed was the Mustang seat was heaver than the stock seat - probably due to it having a metal base instead of a plastic one :) No problems with the fit - everything lined up with the original holes. I do feel like I set a tad bit higher and forward a bit but that may be from the backrest - and my poor posture :) The Mustang is also firmer than the stock seat. I'll post more comments once I get some miles on it.

Here are a few before and after pics - sorry for the poor quality - the camera in the phone isn't too good...

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4222-seat1.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4223-seat2.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4224-seat3.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4219-seat4.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4220-seat5.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4221-seat6.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4216-seat7.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4217-seat8.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4218-seat9.jpg

I have owned a few Mustang seats and they have never failed to provide the utmost of comfort. Not cheap, but worth it....

I am going to order one next week for my 09 Heritage. How did it match up with the rear seat. I called Mustang today and they siad there is a differance in grain and color. does the backrest fold down flat for throwing your leg over?

I am going to order one next week for my 09 Heritage. How did it match up with the rear seat. I called Mustang today and they siad there is a differance in grain and color. does the backrest fold down flat for throwing your leg over?

I replaced the rear seat too. The new rear seat has a small notch to fit around the rider backrest. I'm not sure how the stock rear seat will fit with the Mustang seat. I'll try putting it on to see how it fits.

The backrest does not fold down. It does adjust up and down and front to back (pivots with a thumb screw) and come out real easy for storage. I'm not having any problems getting my leg over it - or kind of stepping through the opening between the backrest and the tank.

Well - the stock rear seat will not fit with the Mustang seat. The stock seat is longer. A picture is worth a thousand words - so here are some pics of both.

The SO says the rear seat is comfortable and the riders backrest does not get in her way.

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4234-seat10.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4235-seat11.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4236-seat12.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4237-seat13.jpg

groundhawg-albums-seat+replacement-picture4238-seat14.jpg

I have a mustang seat on my other bike and love it but. Friday I called Mustang for a second time this week. The first call tech support said that my factory rear seat would work fine with their wide seat with the backrest, it would just have a different leather grain. After reading GroundHawg’s reply and looking at the pictures I called again. This time I got sales, a young man with his two marketing degrees so he says, said it would fit but look like (lets just say not good). He looked at the posting on the forum and said well, the other gentlemen had $20.000 in his bike and wanted it to look nice and match but if I don’t care what mine looks like then just use my old seat. I guess that’s what two marketing degrees gets you, I must be getting old.

I'd like to see a picture of a setup using the stock rear seat...

Maybe they need someone with a technical degree on the phones - Better yet - someone with some wrench time :D

I love my Mustang seat even though the Mustang sissy bar pad is not compatible with My '07 FXSTC model.

When I ordered the seat parts I was very specific with the model and year. I explained to the sales Gal the mounting hardware Mustang supplied would not work on my '07, the sissy bar is wider than the hardware supplied with their pad. The gal checked with the Tech department and assigned a new part number for my pad order and said the tech said,"this is the pad for your '07"
The first photo is the hardware clamps supplied by Mustang.
The other photos are the fabrication necessary to make it work.

Here is what I had to do to install the sissy bar pad,
http://www.hdtimeline.com/softail_models/23109-mustang_seat_for_fxstc.html#post205874

Mustang ships extremely fast

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

GroundHawg; thanks for the nicely detailed experience w/this seat upgrade. This way other members get the full effect of your seat swap and like they say "pics don't lie." I added a Mustang seat to my XL1200C & not that it compares to a Softail, but there was a HUGE comfort difference vs. stock. My rear coundn't thank me enough & added many comfortable miles to my trips. Great review & hope thjis helps others who are in the seat market.

Back