free website stats program Must the rear tire be removed for fender replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Must the rear tire be removed for fender replacement

jc119misty

Must the rear tire be removed to replace stock rear fender.
with another stock rear fender.

2003 heritage softail classic

It may not "have" to be removed, but my guess is that it will be much easier if it is removed.

You don't have to remove the tire to get the fender off. Since the bolts are on the outside. There are plates on the inside of the fender that have the nuts welded to them. Depending on how big your hands are, putting things back together can be tricky. I've held a nut plate up inside, started one bolt, used a couple of screwdrivers to align and hold the plate to start another bolt.

Not necessary, but IMO worth the effort. Tail light wires etc. are in channels, connectors to unplug/pull through fender grommets, nuts hard to reach. I do a neater job and the time spent R&R wheel is worth the aggravation to ME.

Thanks for the knowledge, just making sure there's no bolt in center/top of fender front side, battery side. I had replaced the front weeks ago.
did not remove the front tire, but.... the back may be a different story.

Thanks again for the info

besides , if you take the tire off you can inspect, clean, etc.. the wheel and other spots on the bike easier also.

Back