free website stats program Must-Have Tools? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Must-Have Tools?

Are you saying to do this like right before an oil change? or like a few days prior?
The day I change it I'll pour a oz or two in the crank case take her for a nice ride to get it hot then drain it out. It should come out a little darker than normal due to cleaning the inside of the engine.

The day I change it I'll pour a oz or two in the crank case take her for a nice ride to get it hot then drain it out. It should come out a little darker than normal due to cleaning the inside of the engine.

ok sounds good, thanks a bunch. I wonder if that might help my problem. I've got a metal on metal sound, like a bad bearing sound, coming from inside the cam cover. I hope its nothing major. But it just sounds like no oil getting in there. maybe its clogged up somewhere and the seafoam with clean it out. I sure hope so.

ok sounds good, thanks a bunch. I wonder if that might help my problem. I've got a metal on metal sound, like a bad bearing sound, coming from inside the cam cover. I hope its nothing major. But it just sounds like no oil getting in there. maybe its clogged up somewhere and the seafoam with clean it out. I sure hope so.

When did this start?

When did this start?

Probably about 2 weeks ago. The mechanic at the shop I bought it from thinks either the cam chain shoes are worn or a bushing is bad. Then a Club member from southern riders MC told me its a normal sound for sportys. So I don't know who to believe. I have a can of sea foam, But I don't know how much to put. I have the 4.5 gallon tank.

Probably about 2 weeks ago. The mechanic at the shop I bought it from thinks either the cam chain shoes are worn or a bushing is bad. Then a Club member from southern riders MC told me its a normal sound for sportys. So I don't know who to believe. I have a can of sea foam, But I don't know how much to put. I have the 4.5 gallon tank.
Add about a oz of seafoam to a tank full. If you want to give her a power cleaning add about 2 oz to a full tank. I run about a oz every 3rd tank full just to keep her cleaned out and running good.

Add about a oz of seafoam to a tank full. If you want to give her a power cleaning add about 2 oz to a full tank. I run about a oz every 3rd tank full just to keep her cleaned out and running good.

I appreciate it. Ill drop some in when I get home. I just filled up on my way to work.

I also bought a small set of bits from Autozone. It has a multitude of bits, allen, torx, security torx, square, phillips, flat, and a lot more. whole set was only 10 bucks. its a 50 pc. set, lol. not bad.

I cant find a torque wrench tho. it seems everyone only has the larger torque wrenches (250 ft-lb and up) none for motorcycles around here. I guess I have to order one online.

I appreciate it. Ill drop some in when I get home. I just filled up on my way to work.

I also bought a small set of bits from Autozone. It has a multitude of bits, allen, torx, security torx, square, phillips, flat, and a lot more. whole set was only 10 bucks. its a 50 pc. set, lol. not bad.

I cant find a torque wrench tho. it seems everyone only has the larger torque wrenches (250 ft-lb and up) none for motorcycles around here. I guess I have to order one online.
I would think any good parts store would have some in stock. If you order one on line make sure you get a good quality name brand wrench.

Magnetic pick up tool, and a mechanical finger come in handy:s

The sportster has 4 cams that are gear driven and no chains or shoes so I would avoid that shop for mechanical repairs

Brian

Back