free website stats program Musical "jingling" coming from shift linkage | Harley Davidson Forums

Musical "jingling" coming from shift linkage

Mavagrand

Sitting at idle the other day and noticed a musical "jingling" thought it was my Gremlin bell but, when I put pressure on the shifter, the noise stopped. Put bike back in neutral, jingling again. Reached down and put slight pressure on the shift linkage, jingling stopped. Then noticed I cold stop the noise as well by placing my foot against the shifter peg. Wondering if this is a symptom of linkage failure or if it means something else might be going on wtih my tranny. Any ideas?? Thanx.

I had the same problem with the all stainless shifter linkage from the HD acessory catalog. I just put one small o-ring behind each heim joint, put the bolts back through and the musical "jingling" went away.

If you have the hemi joints they have just become worn. You can replace just the joints If you have the original joints I would get that thing replaced. Those things just don't last for me. Perhape is is the 2.25 inch over shift levers put a bit more torque on them but I have found it best just to junk the original linkage and replace it with one with hemi joints. I had not heard of the o-ring thing. I may give that a try next time before replacing the joint.

Back