free website stats program Multiple Electrical Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Multiple Electrical Problems

Clell

Hi
New member with a perplexing problem. I ride a 2001 Road King Classic with EFI.
I went on a long run on a Saturday afternoon and bike started and ran great. I get on it Sunday morning and hit the starter and I get a clicking noise from starter relay switch. I replaced the starter relay and it still just clicks. I was able to start the bike by jumping the posts on the relay, it starts right up. Took the bike for a ride and I have no brake lights, no blinkers, no odometer and speedometer goes from 2 to zero and sticks at any point in between. I cleaned the battery connections but I have come to the conclusion it must have a short in the wiring somewhere to have these multiple problems. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on where to look or where to start. Thanks Clell

Being a 2001 I would start with the ignition switch and the terminals on the back or the switch contacts themselves.

It was the ignition wires on top of the tank and under the dash. The mechanic told me 2001's are the last yr Harley never put a lock on the plugs under the dash. After 22,000 miles the plug vibrated apart.

Back