free website stats program multiple codes loss of ECM serial data | Harley Davidson Forums

multiple codes loss of ECM serial data

razenman

'07 softail Calif model with PC III. Heard a mechanical tink sound but gopt to my destination about 1 mile. started bike to leave and ran for about 15 seconds and died. Got home found ECM fuse blown. replaced fuse but blows upon turn ignition to on. Read codes. Had P0123(TPS high) P0108 MAP High, P0113 AT high, P0118 ET high, P1004 sys relay closed and U1016 loss of ECM serial Data. Remove and electric check of system relay. replaced system relay. ECM fuse still blows. Disconnect the PC III and plug back to stock config. ECM fuse holds bike turns over, but won't start. DTC read P0113 AT Volt high, P0118 ET sensor High and U1016 ECM serial data loss. All the sensors can't blow or read high at one time is my guess but HOW do you correct/restore serial data??? I am an electrical engineer I do know how to use my Fluke 76. one local Harley parts department kept telling me there was no such thing as ET sensor or no way to check if AT sensor was good. (EDIT) I connected to my trusty Fluke and rAN A BLOW DRYER ON AT sensor THE RESISTANCE INCREASED, DUH TO HARLEY, Good thing I live in large suburban area will not even step in door of that dealer again!! Help beautiful weather in Mesa Arizona and want to ride, as well as bike week is 8 days away!!
Razenman

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
All the sensors can't blow or read high at one time is my guess

Yes they can. Maybe not blow but they all could post DTC's. There is a common reference voltage that is used for each one. If that common reference voltage is missing, all sensors that use that reference voltage will post a DTC.

After you removed the PC III and replaced the fuse, did you manually clear each and every current and historical code.

No I didn't . How do you clear the codes???

Here is a little more to work with. A U1016 DTC is a non self clearing serial bus error. All it means is that during a past key cycle, there was normal communication on the serial bus but it was lost during that SAME key cycle.
The serial data 2 wire bus (LAN) is between the Speedo, TSM, and ECM. (more devices if ABS, cruise etc is present)

Remove any add on devices (PC III). Replace any bad fuses. Boot and clear any codes. Reboot and read codes to see if the speedo can communicate with the other 2 devices on the LAN. When viewing codes, part numbers and the word "none" are good. "No RSP" should only be seen for devices that are not physically on the LAN. If all looks good, try and start the bike and see if you start logging errors caused by the +5v rail and return line. If you log a few of the same errors as before, check to see if the reference +5v supply is missing (pin 14 of ECM). Then check the return side (Pin 26). Pin 26 is common to all of the 4 sensor codes you listed. Pin 26 is only used for those for sensors.

Most likely the bike started out running fine (good key cycle, serial data OK), then you heard the mechanical tink and the fuse blew (serial data now was disrupted), which resulted in the "state of health" flag bit not reaching the speedo from the ECM. A U1016 is now logged by the speedo. Even if commo is once again restored, the error is not cleared. The error log needs to be manually cleared. Reboot (IPL) all hosts and try once again to pull codes. Hopefully you do not get a "no RSP" (can't commo to LAN device) on physically present devices. You want to see a part# (the host device) & "none" meaning the Host device is on the LAN but has nothing to report. The U1016 is generated by the speedo when the speedo can no longer receive a state of health flag from the ECM.

Blowing a fuse such as the ECM fuse during a power up is never a good thing to have happen. A surge or transit spike on the commo bus or on the +5 volt supply rail can be the kiss of death. Hope it is a straight forward fix.

I attempted to clear codes via that method but you need to be able to start the motorcycle mine won't start. codes won't clear

but you need to be able to start the motorcycle mine won't start. codes won't clear

You sure about that?
Below is a Copy & paste from the link Jack posted. I recall doing it to my '09 without starting but it's been awhile..

These apply to 04 and later bikes with the serial bus.
The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).
Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).
1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.
2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.
3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.
4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.
5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted)
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

I'm throwing in the towel. Codes won't clear all this serial bus stuff doesn't show up in my Harley service manual. it has me. My ford truck isn't this hard. Guess I need the breakout box and only Harley has those.

I'm throwing in the towel. Codes won't clear all this serial bus stuff doesn't show up in my Harley service manual. it has me. My ford truck isn't this hard. Guess I need the breakout box and only Harley has those.

If you can re read the info posted above, you'll see this...

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

They can be cleared without running the bike.

I'm throwing in the towel.

Sorry to hear your giving up so early because it sounded like an interesting bug to troubleshoot. The 2007's are a walk in the park compared to the 2011's which use a body control module.:)

Good Luck resolving the issue.

Back