free website stats program Mufflers on 98 RKC | Harley Davidson Forums

Mufflers on 98 RKC

dcollie3

Folks I have Slash Cut mufflers on my 98 RKC with a stage 2. It it really rumbles. New By-law coming for motorcycles to reduce noise. 92db at idle and 96db at 2000rpm. I put the originals back on and it's to quiet for me. Can anyone recommend something in between that will keep both me and the by-law happy?

thanks, dan

You might try to find some one that has some Bub 7 stealth slip-ons and give a listen, there supose to be street legal and have a good sound?

I would go with a muffler where you can change out the baffles , it's a lot cheaper than buying the whole muffler . Vance Hines or Rush mufflers would be a good choice .

I have to believe the MOCO knows what sells their bikes and that sound is one of the elements. While they are conservative, I doubt there is much wiggle room between stock and illegal.

Most aftermarket exhausts fall into the illegal in most states category and some go so far as to state "not for highway use" or "for off-road use only" which moves any liability for their use from them to the end user.

There is a happy medium between quiet and obnoxious and if we don't police ourselves, as seen, the legislators will do it for us.

The new SE II mufflers for baggers are slightly louder than stock and should still be legal.

No, I have the stock mufflers on this one, I like the peace and quiet and it still sounds good.

Thanks everyone. I've put the OE back on and will try it for the rest of the season. It's not as bad as I thought, I must be getting old.

By the way does any know if I have to reset my TFI?

Back